HKS 700E on a Streak Shadow?

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

WBerry

HKS 700E on a Streak Shadow?

Post by WBerry » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:31 pm

Hi,
After one engine failure too many, I've grown unhappy with the Rotax 582 thats fitted to my Streak Shadow.

I've read about a 4-stroke, 2-cylinder engine called the HKS 700E. What I've read sounds very promising (ie. reliable and economical).

Does anyone have any first hand experience of this engine?

Is it practical to try and fit it to my Shadow, from an engineering acceptance perspective?

Any help greatly appreciated. :)

vernon readhead

streak Shadow

Post by vernon readhead » Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:36 am

Hi,

Sorry to hear you have had probes with your 582, at the moment I am fitting a 912 to my shadow and have a spare mount if you decide to go that way.

Regards Vernon

David Hardaker

HKS

Post by David Hardaker » Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:22 am

WB
I know a man who has an HKS powered single seater.
If you PM me with your email address, I can put you in touch.
Regards
David H

jangiolini

Post by jangiolini » Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:30 pm

Hi I am presently gathering the bits to install an R100 BMW motorcycle engine into my Avid speedwing it is 1000cc and produces approx 75 hp more reliability and uses less fuel also gets rid of my 582.
John.

Bill McCarthy

Post by Bill McCarthy » Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:44 am

There is an owner in Perth who took the HKS out of his X'Air and fitted Rotax 582 !
If you contact John Teasdale who runs a microlight school at Rufforth in Yorkshire with HKS powered aircraft I'm sure here will give you the drift on them.

WBerry

Post by WBerry » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:09 pm

Thanks to everyone who added to this.

I actually got in touch with someone trying to do just this engine conversion via Danny Crosby (Shadow guru extraordinary).

James Macy, told me of the considerable trouble it was causing him. Even the Rotax 912 mount isn't officially strong enough as the HKS has higher max torque (I think he said). Plus there are issues of air flow and apparently sideways rocking (when idling!) of the HKS.

Since I'm not in a position to go through a design proving exercise for a brand new mount design, I'm afraid thats an abandoned idea.

Thanks again for all you replies.

Will.

adeprice

Rotax 582 reliability

Post by adeprice » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:54 pm

Do you have the Blue top version of the Rotax 582? I've heard that they are supposed to be a lot more reliable than the old version.

I presume you are doing all the right things with your engine such as rotating the prop' once a week and only using a premium synthetic two stroke oil such as Castrol.