King KT76A transponder wiring

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

johnM

King KT76A transponder wiring

Post by johnM » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:55 am

Hi

I have acquired a KT76A transponder that I wish to install but do not have a pin out diagram. I have found one at
http://www.aeroelectric.com/Installatio ... 6C-78A.pdf

but there are 12 pins on the top and the bottom is listed as A - N.

Unless my maths is dodgy there are 14 letters up to N and so which two should be left out. ( I assume that I is one of them)

thanks
john

Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:35 pm

The pin out detail gives connections to

A B C D E F H J K L M ie 11 letters

N is not used

Total 12 letters which accords with the plug diagram

Quite why King dont use G or I, I don't know!

Take great care to checking (& rechecking) the wiring in relation to the plug key between pins 3/4 and C/D and which way you are looking at the plug. Verifying with a multimeter that A & 1 pins is connected to case ground can be a useful additional check.

johnM

Post by johnM » Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:02 pm

thanks Steve

you obviously know what you are doing. that makes one of us!
My understanding is that the only number pins( as opposed to letter pins) that I use if I do not have a dimmer switch are:
1 GND
11 Power

Am I misunderstanding things?

Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown » Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:56 pm

If you want the display lit (preferable I'd say while wiring the plug - with little downside ) then you need to connect pin 2 to 12volts and pin 3 to ground - this gives you 'always on' lights to the Txpr facia. If you wanted switched lights, you'd switch pin 2.

If you dont want a lit facia, then you dont need to wire up pins 2 or 3 at all

Note: If you are connecting up a remote altitude encoder, pin 8 is also used as well as most of the the letter pins for the altitude data interface to the KT76

Regards
Steve