Loehle Aircraft?

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Domo1977

Loehle Aircraft?

Post by Domo1977 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:57 am

Hi
I was just wondering if any of the Loehle Warbird replica designs have been approved or are being built in the UK? Or have they already been assessed and ruled out by engineering in the past?

They look like a cheapish and practical way of having replica fighter for fun bimbles in the summer evenings!

Reckon with a bit of a cosmetic job the P40 could make a reasonable Hurricane look-a-like from 50ft!

Be good to hear peoples experiences of flying and building these things.
Dom Cheater

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:44 pm

A Loehle 5151 was under construction here over ten years or so ago but was never completed. The type is not listed on the LAA Approved design list but it might have had a preliminary assessement carried out some years ago, so it would be worth talking to Engineering about it.
Also, the company has been around for a while now, always a positive sign.

P5151

Loehle

Post by P5151 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:38 pm

Hi Dom

Brian is partly correct there were two under construction in the UK, one of these has been scrapped, I have the second.

The situation is that FD has agreed to put this aeroplane through the system on the basis of proven satisfactory service. From memory 2500hrs of flight, and subject to a further inspection by himself.

I have the documentation to prove the hours as I conatcted all ghe owners in the states.In fact I had it several years ago we can rbably get close to 4000 plus hours now.

So why havent I finished the 5151, well a small matter of building and converting an RV 9 to a Wilksch diesel, building an extension on my house, completing my RV4. But, when the 4 is finished I plan to get back onto the 5151 later this year.

However, my advice is don't go along this route till I have mine finished.

Regards
Steve