Rev counters for use without 12V system

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Roger Partington

Rev counters for use without 12V system

Post by Roger Partington » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:03 pm

I am putting together a T31 which will only have a magneto and no other electrical systems and I need a rev counter that will work with it. I have a circuit diagram for one but am no good at that sort of thing. Does anyone know of a commercial source ?

ivanmanley

Post by ivanmanley » Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:10 am

Hi Roger,

Westach / VDO type rev counters will work off a single mag with no 12V source. They come with instructions on how to wire into the mag and have a little tag of wire hanging out the back which is cut if only running one mag (see their instructions).

Ivan

PS. Does your T31 have a reg? (or failing that serial number) Nice to hear of another coming together.
________
herbal vaporizer
Last edited by ivanmanley on Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Roger Partington

Post by Roger Partington » Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:26 am

Good morning Ivan,

Thanks a lot - I didn't realise that.

The T31, G-BUAC is some way down the road to recovery after lying dormant for many years. The wings have been stripped for recovering and were found to be in remarkably good condition. The fuselage and engine are being tidied up and simplified. We hope that we will be in a position to apply for a permit later this year.

Regards
Roger

Pete

Post by Pete » Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:14 am

coo they look really simple:- http://www.tinytach.com/tinytach/gasoline.php

$37

I wish I found that before fitting a Stratomaster which cost 4 times as much ( including all the fannying around to get it to work )
Peter Diffey

Roger Partington

Post by Roger Partington » Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:19 pm

Yes, thanks Ron, I have contacted them and it looks like the answer.

Cheers
Roger

Trevor Lyons

Post by Trevor Lyons » Sat May 10, 2008 11:28 am

The Hobbs meter has packed in on my ARV with a twin-rotor MidWest wankel engine. This Tiny Tach looks the ticket; but it's making my brain hurt working out which model might be appropriate for my engine. Each rotor fires three time per revolution, but the eccentric shaft (= crankshaft) rotates three times as fast. The 2.96:1 reduction gearbox brings the prop speed back down approximately to rotor speed. I don't mind if the Tiny Tach reads rotor/prop speed (i.e. 0-2,600 rpm) or shaft speed (0-7,800rpm). Any ideas on which model?

John Dean

Post by John Dean » Sat May 10, 2008 10:36 pm

welshman wrote:wish the time was right on here, thought I'd fallen asleep after posting
Ron,

You can have whatever time you like displayed, just go to your profile and change the timezone.