Aircraft Covers

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

ColinC

Aircraft Covers

Post by ColinC » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:12 pm

Am wondering who supplies aircraft covers that people might recommend? They are for a Taylorcraft. I have found Cambrai who list a cockpit cover but not wing covers.

I have put a wanted ad on the forum for Auster/Taylorcraft wing covers just in case anyone has some going spare as am pretty sure Auster ones will fit.
Colin Cheese

Rod1

Post by Rod1 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:27 pm

Have a look at WWW.partsforaircraft.co.uk

Rod1

Rich Valler

Post by Rich Valler » Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:59 pm

Colin, the lack of a "yes" against wing covers on the Cambrai site only means that they have not yet made any for that particular model and so do not already have patterns. They can and do measure and make new patterns for specific aircraft.

Other UK suppliers worth a google are Velas, Sky4 and Vertigo.

I would caution against using other make covers that 'might' fit, as loose covers on a fabric wing in a strong wind would not be a 'good thing' .... in my opinion correct fit and effective material are the two key criteria, price is almost secondary and likely to be similar across suppliers.

Rich

Ian Melville

Post by Ian Melville » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:37 pm

Rich Valler wrote: I would caution against using other make covers that 'might' fit, as loose covers on a fabric wing in a strong wind would not be a 'good thing' .... in my opinion correct fit and effective material are the two key criteria, price is almost secondary and likely to be similar across suppliers.

Rich
I'll second that. I damaged my car, and while waiting for repair, I put a loose cover over it(sold as a car cover). The wind moved it sufficent to take the paint off in places :evil:

iancallier

Post by iancallier » Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:41 pm

To me the important thing is to have two securing ties aft of the wing so that when the wind turns downwind the cover is secure. One strap = one balloon

ColinC

Post by ColinC » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:12 pm

Thanks for the contacts.

I have spoken to Velas and Sarah at Sky4, neither had templates but Sarah is willing to measure it up. I just spoke to Michael at Cambrai, he has already got templates for the aircraft.
Colin Cheese

rtl_flyer

Post by rtl_flyer » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:39 pm

I have used Cambrai for two a/c. A quality product and a great company to deal with. Would not use anybody else.
Tim Richardson.

Simon Clifton

Post by Simon Clifton » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:09 pm

The Cambrai cover I bought is excellent. I'm still newly finding neat features several months on from first fitting them, which is evidence that these guys really know what they are doing.

They are quite expensive, but still easily the best value for money I could have spent.

You won't be disappointed!

Simon C
~~~~~~

Mike Fawdrey

Aircraft Covers

Post by Mike Fawdrey » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:36 pm

On this partuclar topic I know that is best for any aircraft to be hangared
but can an aircraft with wooden airframe and cloth covering be left out with just covers fitted, is it feasable?
A pal and I keep looking at jodels but without hangarage are put off by the thought of major bills because of outside storage