Scott 3000 Tail wheel .. Re - bushing

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

C Rule

Scott 3000 Tail wheel .. Re - bushing

Post by C Rule » Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:40 pm

I wonder has anyone any experience of re-bushing the swivel on these tail wheels? The model appears obsolete and parts do not seem to be available from the normal suppliers.

tnowak

Post by tnowak » Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:29 am

Don't have specific experience with the 3000 (I have the 3200). If it is just the bushing that is worn then a machine shop should be able to turn up a new one quite easily. If the spindle is worn as well then that may be more of an issue.

mike newall

Post by mike newall » Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:23 pm

If you are on a permit and I am guessing you have a Cub, this is the way forward

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/l ... lwheel.php

tnowak

Post by tnowak » Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:13 pm

Have your tried e-mailing Univair / AC Spruce and asking them if they have any spares for the 3000? Sometimes they can source parts that aren't advertised on their website or are in their catalogue.

C Rule

Post by C Rule » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:52 am

Many thanks for all the suggestions

Tony - I think the machine shop idea is good and I will follow that up.

Mike - Yes I have seen those but also these :- http://www.wicksaircraft.com/catalog/pr ... index.html

So may well invest in one of these and then go for a re bush of the original.

Cheers

Colin

gasax

Post by gasax » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:23 am

Rebushing is pretty easy. I have an old Matco tailwheel. Whilst they are cheap to buy getting spares is not easy. The pivot had got so slack that something had to be done.

Although small machine shops are getting rare any half decent hobbyist with a lathe can also do it.

My machine shop made up a suitable Oillite bush (the original was a composite like Oilite but had also worn the main pivot) and new pivot bolt (turned down from a high tensile bolt of the next largest size).

End result about £60 and a near new tailwheel.

Trevor Harvey

Post by Trevor Harvey » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:55 pm

If anyone is interested I am a retired toolmaker / designer with a Bridgeport mill & Colchester Bantam lathe, etc in my garage & I have plenty of spare time.

Phil Burgess

Post by Phil Burgess » Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:41 pm

Hi Trevor,

I wonder if you would be interested in making a part for me? The guy I currently use for machine work locally is becoming increasingly unreliable and good people with the right machines are getting few and far between.

I need to mill an aluminium block of aprox 90mm x 65mm x 40mm into a suitable lightweight shape to make a pick-off plate for the 3/8 BSP oil cooler connections on a VW aero engine conversion. I could supply you with an engineers drawing or an Autocad 2000 drawing plus photo's etc if you are interested in helping...

Trevor Harvey

Post by Trevor Harvey » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:58 am

Hi Phill
no problem except my Autocad 13 probably won't read your 2000 version,
can you cut & paste onto Excel? or we are down to snail mail.
you have a PM
Trevor

PB

Post by PB » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:27 pm

Phil

You can buy those blocks ready finished from Barry Smith at Acro engines if he has any left in stock.

Mocal also do a Type J adapter for precisely this purpose, though it is not as neat as the Acro one.

Phil Burgess

Post by Phil Burgess » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:46 pm

I can recomend Trevor's work, the finished item arrived yesterday and the workmanship is superb. :)

The Mocal type adaptor is not suitable for my aplication due to the position of the inlet manifold. I had completely forgoten about Barry Smith's parts; they may have been ok for my instalation if he has any left. Anyway the job's done now and very well too. :D