Rans S6: 390kg to 450kg upgrade

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Bill Scott

Rans S6: 390kg to 450kg upgrade

Post by Bill Scott » Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:05 pm

Being a simple soul, I don't understand the need to change the flaps & ailerons on my S6 as part of the upgrade.

The upgrade requires replacement of the original flaps with a broader chord towrds the wing root, for the later constant chord type.

The original flaps on my aircraft would(?) be more effective as they must have almost twice the surface area.

I thought that the stronger struts would have been sufficient and that the new narrow chord flaps are not going to make a major difference.

Perhaps somebody can explain the aerodynamic rules that dictate this?

gasax

Post by gasax » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:18 pm

I'm guessing - it could be that the imposed loads from the larger surfaces impose just a bit more force than the spars can comfortably withstand - given that they are carrying more weight from the uprade.
Pete Morris

Bill Scott

Post by Bill Scott » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:52 am

Thanks Pete, I did think it might be along those lines. However, I can't see why the flaps have to be operating, rather than fixed? I can imediately think of at least one other 450kg microlight which has no flaps.

gasax

Post by gasax » Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:53 pm

That option would I guess have to go to Francis, but with them locked in the up position you would think all should be well.
Pete Morris

Tony Harrison-Smith

Post by Tony Harrison-Smith » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:08 pm

Bill, usually the only reason for the flaps on a microlight is to get the stall speed down to the maximum specified (35 knots if I remember correctly). When you enable the Rans to fly at it's new all up weight, the stall speed might be too high without the flaps.

Bill Scott

Post by Bill Scott » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:15 pm

Cheers Tony,
That indicates that keeping the original flaps & ailerons would mean the stall speed would be ok so far as microlight requirements go.
Then we just need to know if there is any specific reason for fitting the narrower constant chord ones instead.... Wing loading?