Paint application

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

mikehallam

Post by mikehallam » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:09 am

I've painted three a/c either in a barn with one power pint or a field hangar. As has a friend with a mobile genny to power the spray gun.
I had old doped on linen, then ceconite from a recover and used Z Scheme dope & car thinners and non bloom thinners. Best done when not too cold. I was really happy and the 'plane at Jackrell's still looks uniquely attractive s few years down the line (onto PolyFibre) don't know which paint though.

In other words if you built it and want to save a fair bit, plus have the pleasure of DIY, [b]just do it.[/b]
mike.

Adrian Hatton

Post by Adrian Hatton » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:58 am

Graeme,
With regard to time taken, I wanted a near Sailplane type of finish.

Time spent on prep is proportional to quality of finish - you could probably apply a quick primer coat, not cut it back and finish with a topcoat straight over it in quite a bit less time than suggested but that would not permit the quality of finish that I wanted - Personal choice.

Google should help gain an understanding of compounding.

If you do have a go at the painting job yourself, it would be very interesting if you could post how long it really takes - but please log all the material sourcing time as well as the actual physical work (and cleaning up)...

Go on, have a go - as others have said, you built the actual aircraft so finally finishing it off yourself is a great feeling.

gdbird

Post by gdbird » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:54 pm

So I am well into it now, I have a Fuji HVLP Q4 spray system, Ive been super-filling, rolling, UV smooth priming and sanding and plan to use pf131 octoral primer and an acrylic top coat. And yes, it does take a lot of time!

I'll see how I get on with spraying the primer before I decide who sprays the top coat.
Graeme Bird

gdbird

painting large areas & Time between u/c and top

Post by gdbird » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:02 pm

I am preparing to spraying the top coats (underside of elevators, then wings first!) and have a couple of simple questions I am using 2K acrylic PF131 and Dellfleet 350:

a) how to spray large areas like wings - whether better to work in squares or walk down the wing each time? My paint says cross coats and I am using the slow thinner.

b) do I need to let the primer dry ie 24 hours or is it better to spray sooner and get a better bond.
Graeme Bird