inspectors.

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Sandy Hutton

Inspector Search

Post by Sandy Hutton » Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:28 am

Welshman, are you trying to say that you don't know your adjacent postcodes for surrounding counties? What happened to the Inspector you had? Is his dead body hidden somewhere in the 600 square miles of the Cardiff area? :roll:

Sandy Hutton

Inspectors travelling.

Post by Sandy Hutton » Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:11 pm

Welshman, my reply assumed that you had an Inspector at one time so what happened to change his mind about attending to your aeroplane (a FRED?).
As for Inspectors having to travel, well that's just the luck of the draw old son.
My home is to the North of Perth city and I have made annual trips to Oban (180miles round) and North Berwick (160miles) so at least some of us are willing to travel. Even a trip to Perth (Scone is 3 miles as the crow flies) is a 35 mile trip for me with Errol clocking up 43miles; I'm not complaining but that is what I would reckon is acceptable for a run of the mill Permit Renewal.
I'd be interested to know if there's anyone else travels further (within the UK) :?

Barry Plumb

Post by Barry Plumb » Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:05 pm

Welshman,

You can view the whole list if you wish. Do not put in a post code, just click on the search button and the whole list is available. I think it is alphabetical and has about 38 pages so it will be a bit tedious, but the information is there.

Regards

Barry Plumb

merlin

Post by merlin » Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:33 pm

Barry, 38 pages of alpha listing is not too useful - postcode doesn't work well either for many reasons - but a list by county should be more useable.
Can this be made available?
Roger

Sandy Hutton

Inspectors by County.

Post by Sandy Hutton » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:02 pm

Merlin, a county list isn't going to make the situation any better in my opinion. Take Inverness shire and you will see just how far it extends. Even good old Yorkshire is a fair expanse so your suggestion doesn't hold good at all and it's not going to make your Inspector any closer to you.

I'm for maintaining the status quo as long as Ken can update it to remove the Inspectors no longer with us.. :?

Rod1

Post by Rod1 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:05 pm

A post code with a configurable “distance from” and approvals tick box would be good. When I started my build I had lots of inspectors near by but only a very small number with the right ticks in the approval boxes. Fortunately I was already having my C of A aircraft looked after by one of them

I have to say I am hugely impressed with the LAA’s inspectors. It has to be one of our greatest unsung treasures. Mine is almost dangerous in front of a computer so he will never see this!

Rod1

Sandy Hutton

Distance from

Post by Sandy Hutton » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:14 pm

Rod, as an Inspector, my address, postcode and approvals are in the list for all to see. If you want "distance from", use the postcode with something like Autoroute to work it out. Having the right ticks in the box is always going to be a problem in areas where Inspectors are a bit thin on the ground.

I suggested an Autoroute style of map with pins opening out giving Inspector details when I was a Henchman at Turweston but it was never acted upon. I don't know how or if it could be applied to the LAA website... step up the boffins please! :D

leiafee

Re: Distance from

Post by leiafee » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:56 pm

Sandy Hutton wrote:Rod, as an Inspector, my address, postcode and approvals are in the list for all to see. If you want "distance from", use the postcode with something like Autoroute to work it out. Having the right ticks in the box is always going to be a problem in areas where Inspectors are a bit thin on the ground.

I suggested an Autoroute style of map with pins opening out giving Inspector details when I was a Henchman at Turweston but it was never acted upon. I don't know how or if it could be applied to the LAA website... step up the boffins please! :D
Ought to be easy with an API for something like Google Maps or Maps Live.

Rob Hart

Post by Rob Hart » Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:46 pm

leiafee wrote:Ought to be easy with an API for something like Google Maps or Maps Live.
Not sure what the API is for? It was quite simple (although time consuming) to enter a few postcodes into google so that they appear as pins which open out giving details of the inspector.

Google Maps LAA Inspectors test

The link above will (hopefully) show how this could work and maybe be expanded to show struts aswell. Google Maps also gives the option to copy the HTML code for embedding the map directly into our webpage - so you don't need to visit google to use the map.

It would make the task of entering all the postcodes easier if there was plain text list of inspectors available, maybe the office has one?

Rob[/url]

leiafee

Post by leiafee » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:26 pm

countzero wrote:
leiafee wrote:Ought to be easy with an API for something like Google Maps or Maps Live.
Not sure what the API is for? It was quite simple (although time consuming) to enter a few postcodes into google so that they appear as pins which open out giving details of the inspector.

Google Maps LAA Inspectors test
I was udner the (mistaken?( impression you needed the API to embed it into an externa site. I could of course be wrong :wink:

Sandy Hutton

Inspector map

Post by Sandy Hutton » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:43 pm

That's just the sort of thing I was on about so all we need now is for it to meet someones approval and populate the list..job done lads! :idea: