Instruments for the pax in a tandem seating aircraft

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Rob Swain

Instruments for the pax in a tandem seating aircraft

Post by Rob Swain » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:57 pm

Here's an issue I can't remember ever reading anything about: in a tandem seating aircraft how does one get feeds for the basic instruments that are in the 'passenger' seat?
By tandem aircraft I'm thinking of one that has 2 instrument panels like a Starduster Too, S2 Pitts or Van's RV8, and not like a Piper Cub where (I think) you just look over the shoulder of the bod in front.

Oh yes: we are talking dial instruments here. We can't stretch to the simple approach of buying a pair of Stratomaster or Dynon screens, although electric dials with senders on the engine etc are probably within budget. Screens would look odd too, in an open cockpit biplane.

I'm particularly interested in the essentials like tacho, ASI, fuel and manifold pressure etc.
For an altimeter I would expect to just include it in the static system, but am I correct even in this assumption?
Rob Swain
If the good Lord had intended man to fly, He would have given him more money.

J.C.

Post by J.C. » Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:48 pm

Why are they essential?
John Cook

macconnacher

Post by macconnacher » Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:39 am

I agree with John. In the early Moths they had a big glove compartment an altimeter, compass and a clock and sometimes an ASI and a simple slip ball. All of which can be fed off the pipework to the main cockpit.

You just need enough to keep the passenger from getting bored!
Stuart Macconnacher

Rob Swain

Post by Rob Swain » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:59 pm

J.C. wrote:Why are they essential?
So the bod in the front can fly the bird should the need arise. The owner of the beastie in question is only still with us because he was able to fly and land the thing from the pax seat, so he understandably has very definite opinions on the subject.

The Moth arrangement mentioned above sounds like what we are trying to achieve here but dispensing with the clock and gaining the necessary instrumentation for the variable pitch prop the aircraft is sporting (manifold pressure?).

So it's possible to run 2 ASIs off a single Pitot then?
Rob Swain

macconnacher

Post by macconnacher » Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:10 pm

A Tiger Moth does it; speed is a differential pressure measurment not an airflow mesurment, I guess manifold pressure can be doubled up. Also Westac make a small cheap electronic rev counter that picks up off the magneto - used with VWs on Monoplanes and Turbs which would be ideal for a backup.
Stuart Macconnacher

Sandy Hutton LAA372

Post by Sandy Hutton LAA372 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:14 pm

macconnacher wrote:I agree with John. In the early Moths they had a big glove compartment an altimeter, compass and a clock and sometimes an ASI and a simple slip ball. All of which can be fed off the pipework to the main cockpit.

You just need enough to keep the passenger from getting bored!
So how do you go about piping in the Compass, Clock and Slip Ball? :D

Rob Swain

Post by Rob Swain » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:17 pm

At the risk of being thought awkward (although when has that ever stopped me?)...

Electronic Tachs that work off the P lead on a magneto: are they all for 4 cylinder engines, or are they switchable for 6 cylinders (Lycoming IO-540), or is there a different version of the tach for that?

Yup - the beastie in question has 250HP up front!
Rob Swain

Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:47 pm

Sandy - a couple of mirrors or prisms!!! :)

Rob - electronic tachos are often configurable to different nos of cylinders etc but not all are.

You could impulse one tacho from one mag p lead & the other from the other.

The MP line can be tee's off with no problems/losses, as can the static & pitot lines for Alt, VSI & ASI etc though I'd draw the line at teeing the fuel pressure (though it would work) as it is one more thing to go wrong. At least asking teh teh FP is would keep the P1 / P2 conversation going!

Regards
Steve

macconnacher

Post by macconnacher » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:56 pm

Sandy

The problem of writing a reply when your wife has cooked the dinner and wants you to eat it NOW; then editing it and adding a couple of instruments such as compass and slip ball.
Stuart Macconnacher

cardiffrob

Post by cardiffrob » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:33 pm

If you can't find a 6 cyl tacho, just make a note by the tacho that the take-off rpm is now (Standard x 1.5) rpm?
Rob Thomas