ATR500 VHR transceiver by Filser Electronic

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

rtl_flyer

ATR500 VHR transceiver by Filser Electronic

Post by rtl_flyer » Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:33 pm

Gents,

Has anybody installed a ATR500 VHR transceiver made by Filser Electronic? Was working on one at the weekend. Is wired to a separate intercom.

Sidetone is working with the intercom - eg you can hear yourself talk. However during radio transmission there is no sidetone. You can't hear what you are saying. Receiving station can hear okay.

The radio is all default settings. Looking through handbook, just wondered if anybody else set installed one of these radios. As Icom I fitted to my RV7 worked fine out of the box.

Tim
Tim Richardson.

Kevin Stewart

Post by Kevin Stewart » Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:00 pm

Looking at the manual the ATR500 it has a built in VOX intercom which I would imagine would produce a side tone on transmission unless it was faulty.

The problem may well lie with the intercom. I know that some intercoms can be adapted to produce a simulated side tone if needed. eg.

http://www.sigtronics.com/air/tecavi.html

The Sigtronics units allow this type of modification.

I assume that the intercom is connected up correctly? I know that on some intercoms if the PTT button is connected to the co-pilot's PTT input it will disable the output on the pilot's side.

John Brady

Post by John Brady » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:51 pm

I installed an ATR500 without any problem but I used the built in intercom not any external unit. I made a small PC board that cut off the offside microphone when a transmit button was pressed (to reduce backround noise on transmission) so it is possible that an intercom unit external to the ATR500 could have some effect. Check that the mic/tel connections are not transposed between left and right (ie left mic and right headphones into one input and the reverse into the other - that might do it.)

Suggest you ask my friend John Delafield http://www.lxavionics.co.uk/ who is the UK importer and is in close touch with Funkwerk who took over Filser. I am sure he can help and if it is a fault he can get the set tested and fixed. Dickie Feakes looks after tech support for LX, contact him at Bicester Aviation Services, 01869 245948 [email protected]

John Brady