Tiny alternator wanted

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

cardiffrob

Tiny alternator wanted

Post by cardiffrob » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:18 pm

I've seen a tiny alt on a US Corvair engine conversion. Does anyone know of a similar design of alt available in the UK? I'm trying to put a small alt on a pre-war car but nobody seems to have come across such an item and I tought I'd try here.

Thanks!
Rob Thomas

jangiolini

Post by jangiolini » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:03 pm

Hi Rob I think you are looking at the alternator thats fitted to a John Deere lawn tractor it gives out about 10 or 12 amps! Alternative to that is to get a Kawasaki GPZ1000rx alternator (there are others of similar design) which is complete (regulator/rectifier attached) and is very small with around 20 to 25 amps out. These are both external types as opposed to the types that run inside the engine casing on most bikes. Just remembered airworld do them but you will be in for a shock at cost!!! Look at motorcycle breakers.
John.
John Angiolini

SteveB

Post by SteveB » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:58 pm

Hi Rob,

John is right, the John Deere alternator is very expensive! I've fitted a high output Triumph Bonneville stator and rotor to my Corvair engine, using endplates and a shaft of my own design to make it into a 'stand alone' unit (the stator is bolted to the crancase and the rotor goes on the end of the crank on the bike). You can get a 'solid-state' regulator/rectifier for a reasonable price, so you can dump the zener diode!

Usual health warning, my engine/Pietenpol has not flown yet, so nothing is proven, but if you're fool enough to want to try the same thing I'll send you the details if you send me a PM!

Cheers, Steve
Steve Bryan

jangiolini

Post by jangiolini » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:24 pm

Look at Electrex world website www.electrexworld.co.uk for bits.
John.
John Angiolini