VSI : Adjusting/repairing.

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Ian Law

VSI : Adjusting/repairing.

Post by Ian Law » Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:15 pm

I have a small 2" Aerosonic VSI, for use in my project. Externally, there is no sign of damage and the needle moves freely with gentle changes in pressure.
Unfortunately, when at rest, it indicates a very slight rate of descent and this can't be corrected by turning the small adjusting screw on the front of the instrument. Presumably, the adjuster moves a small cam with a limited range of movement. I don't want to risk any damage by turning the screw too far. The available range of adjustment only seems to move the needle through a few hundred feet of "descent".
This has to be sorted out at some stage and I am looking for someone to do this for me.
Any recommendations would be appreciated.

eyesoar

Post by eyesoar » Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:30 pm

Ian
Worth trying Mike Hutchinson (Glider Instruments) at Shobdon - he sorts out variometers as well as ASI's & Altim's 01568 708368 no email!
Roger

Ian Law

Post by Ian Law » Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:23 pm

eyesoar,

Many thanks. I will give them a ring.

Ian