8" x 4" wheels

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

ColinC

8" x 4" wheels

Post by ColinC » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:42 pm

I am looking for a pair of 8" dia x 3" or 4" main wheels, preferably with brakes. Overall tyre height would optimally be 15"- 16". Lightness is very important.

The design originally used steel wheelbarrow type wheels but I am hoping that it I can find something designed with aircraft in mind as it will help approval and hopefully save weight.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Colin
Colin Cheese

cardiffrob

Post by cardiffrob » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:42 am

Are we talkings FREDs, here? I have some alloy wheels with spindles, drums etc that might suit a FRED. Alternatively I still have the cast iron Llambretta wheels that came with my FRED. Only 26lbs heavier than the Azusa wheels I changed them for.
Rob Thomas

ColinC

Post by ColinC » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:03 am

Thanks for the tip, will check out those on Ebay. What did you think of the Azusa wheels?
Colin Cheese

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:44 pm

Hi Colin, Azusa alloy wheels are not particularly light and the brakes are very crude. They do make a plastic wheel that is much lighter. Check out Aircraft Spruce or Azusa's own website.
I bought some alloy wheels from ULM Technologie, a French microlight parts supply company. they're on the web so you can check out their catalogue. They have a wide range available but the poor exchange rate has made them rather expensive.

ColinC

Post by ColinC » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:38 pm

Thanks Brian,

to be honest I haven't heard anyone say anything particularly good about Azusa. The Matco wheels may be a step up. I am trying to find something a bit less than 4" if I can.

I did find ULM Technologie and they appear to have a number of possibilities although the data is a bit sparse. I'll get Sue to contact them - she speaks the lingo.

Catalog here: http://ulmtechnologie.e-catalogues.info ... alogue.pdf
Colin Cheese

NickChittenden

Post by NickChittenden » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:05 pm

Colin,

I recently purchased a pair of wheels from Westfalia for the princely sum of £22 including postage. They come complete with tyres and tubes and whilst steel wheels might on first glance appear too heavy they are easily modified. The centre can be bored out in the lathe and a simple hub with disc brake welded in with little effort and very little increase in weight.

PM if you need more info, I am building a similar machine!

Nick