Fuel Gauges?

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

PB

Post by PB » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:02 am

For simplicity, you can not beat a standard boat-outboard filler-cap type gauge (cork and wire excepted). It uses a piece of flat stainless strip twisted through 270 degrees with a needle fitted to the top. The needle is viewed through a window on top of the filler cap. A plastic float with a slot in it runs up and down a guide wire and turns the strip and needle as it does so.

Go and look at one. It really is much simpler than it sounds.

Duncan Couchman

Post by Duncan Couchman » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:37 pm

I have just got a fozmula hydrostatic fuel guage approved for my MW7. They are very simple in use and installation. Skydrive sell them for microlights.
Basically you measure the back pressure of the weight of fuel in the tank.
I use them at work for static tanks and they are very reliable and totally non electric.

Dragcurve

Gauge an overhead tank

Post by Dragcurve » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:35 pm

If like me you have an overhead tank with no way of viewing sight tubes or any electrics - I have two solutions;

float and wire (with inverted U bend thro' wing) into shield tube on underside of wing marked for content.

or

a calibrated low pressure gauge. A company in Cardiff are happy to manufacture a calibrated gauge based on the height of full/empty fuel level/pressure against the height between the location of the gauge.