Venturi for vac instruments - naff?

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

gdbird

Venturi for vac instruments - naff?

Post by gdbird » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:37 am

is it a really naff idea to have a 10" venturi tube on an Europa to drive vac instruments ? From an engineering view it seems the simplest and most reliable system but I dont want to be laughed to scourn on landing someplace.
Graeme Bird

John Price

Post by John Price » Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:39 pm

Here's my bit, have a vacuum pump fitted to the engine. I will grant you that it's not as simple as the venturi tube but, as yet, I've not seen a Europa with one. The tempest from LAS is rated to about 1000 hours I think, and costs about £300 inc VAT.

John.

Andrew Leak

Post by Andrew Leak » Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:07 pm

I knew a chap who was building a mono Europa kit, nearly finished it and decided against venturis. I sold him a secondhand electric AH and DI which was better for him as he didn't have to go through the hassle of buying a pump and re plumbing everything. The electric units are a little dearer to buy new, if you haven't already bought vacuum instruments I'd go electric too as they are very reliable (unless you have electrics failure, but then your venturi could get blocked with ice or gunk and the vac pump could fail!) Too many variables! Your choice.

Andy :shock:

Rob Swain

Post by Rob Swain » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:29 pm

Given the price of the electric AH + DI (if considering new) then why not just consider going glass cockpit and done with it! It'll weigh a heck of a lot less too!
Rob Swain
If the good Lord had intended man to fly, He would have given him more money.