clear view/ sliding window fitment for canopy

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

steven owen

clear view/ sliding window fitment for canopy

Post by steven owen » Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:10 pm

I want to fit a clear view sliding window panel to the lexan window it has a curve, now to date all roads lead to mecaplex ag in switzerland, now I got a old sliding window from a gliding club and it looks pretty close, however trying to get mecaplex to understand my exact requirments is proving difficult, now I have a choice take a punt and order the sliding clear view window and hope it fits the curve on my door or find a uk supplier/manufacturer of the said item, making my own from a coke bottle or similar matierial does not push my buttons, it needs to be a pucker job. Anyway does anyone know a way round my problem, like the number to some company in the UK that will do the job for twice the price.
Keeping my fingers crossed coz if not back to talking with the swiss.
Regards Steve oh by the way the aircraft is a foxbat
Regards Steve

jgsmith43

Post by jgsmith43 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:29 pm

Give Severn Valley Sailplanes a call. They sell the glider DV panels and the fitting rails. They might be able to help.
You can Google them to get the telephone number.

steven owen

Post by steven owen » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:16 pm

Thanks for your help but tried severn valley, as I said all gliding clubs ans everyone that has a sliding window is done at mecaplex ag
Regards Steve
Regards Steve

Gerry Holland

Post by Gerry Holland » Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:58 am

Steve.
You might try Tim Dews at Airborne Composites based at Wing Farm Airstrip, near Warminster. 01985 840981. He may have the sliding windows in stock too. You could fly in PPR to talk it through too.
Regards
Gerry

eyesoar

Post by eyesoar » Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:36 pm

Steve
If its of interest we are agent for one of the Polish glider makers and can supply you with the "standard" Polish DV window - these are similar to the Mecaplex item, i.e. sliding panel contained in top and bottom rails with a hinged circular air scoop in the panel that can be opened separately when the main panel is closed.
PM me if you would like details and a pic.
rgds
Roger Hurley
CP WEST Ltd
Hereford