Fuel tank float - sealing.

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Ian Law

Fuel tank float - sealing.

Post by Ian Law » Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:56 pm

Could anyone suggest a suitable sealer for a cork fuel gauge float.
Originally the float would have been sealed with shellac & would then probably have been baked to cure the coating.
Some years ago it was sealed with what looked like epoxy, but this had begun to crack/deteriorate and I have now removed it.
I have searched the web and found a few suggestions, including the use of model aeroplane fuel proof dope, fuel tank "sloshing/sealing" compounds and others, but nothing about using epoxy which I intend using, barring advice to the contrary.
Any recommendations for coating the cork float so that it will be effectively sealed and will resist attack/penetration by AvGas or MoGas would be appreciated!

Ian

Mark A

Post by Mark A » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:37 pm

Have you considered a two part poly-sulphide fuel tank sealing compound.
There are two types basically: sloshing compounds that are quite liquid in their uncured state, and the type used to seal joints during assembly that is treacly viscous stuff.
Both cure to a tough flexible rubber that is impervious to most fuels.

DeSoto make them and Silmid are a supplier.

Ian Law

Post by Ian Law » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:39 pm

Mark,

Many thanks for your suggestion and I will check it out. I had intended using a polysulphide type sealer for the aluminium tank in my B/Fighter project - the float is from a group owned Aeronca.

Ian