Letraet Safmat

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

paul330

Letraet Safmat

Post by paul330 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:10 am

Anyone know where I can get hold of some Letraset Safmat. It looks like an ideal (and cheap!) medium for labelling the panel. However, everyone seems to be out of stock - even the Letraset website. Have they stopped making it?
Paul Marskell
RV-10 ZU-IIZ
At Mercy Air, White River, RSA

Bearhawk Bravo QB under construction

ColinC

Post by ColinC » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:11 am

I can't help with the Letraset, but I made some decent labels by printing onto laser-proof overhead projector film.

I used Microsoft publisher to draw them with clear lettering on a black background, reverse printed them (so the ink was on the back when you read them so can't scratch off), stuck self-adhesive aluminium foil onto the printed face of the film, applied double sided VHB tape to that, then cut them out to size with a scalpel.

It's much easier to do than it sounds. If you want white letters on a black background use white VHB tape and miss out the aluminium tape. Doing it this way gives you complete flexibility and I ended up with some very neat custom labels.

If you want a few sheets of film to play with send a message with your address and I'll drop some in the post.
Colin Cheese

paul330

Post by paul330 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:55 am

Thanks for the idea but it's not the look I am going for. The Safmat is clear, thin and self-adhesive. Once it's in place on the painted panel, you matt clear coat the whole thing and you have what I think will be very professional-looking lettering - if I could lay my hands on some sheets!

I hadn't thought of reverse printing though. If it's possible with this medium it would give an extra layer of durability.

I visit the US regularly so may be able to get some there if it really isn't available in the UK.
Paul Marskell
RV-10 ZU-IIZ

Ian Melville

Post by Ian Melville » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:04 am

I would give Letraset a ring. It looks like it is either produced in small batches when there are sufficent orders, or it's no longer available.

Is Lazertran any good for your panel?

Rob Swain

Post by Rob Swain » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:36 pm

If anybody finds any Letraset lettering then please post back.

Did my panel with them and then lacquered them in. Makes for a great panel.
I've got another to do for somebody soon and if the lettering is becoming scarce then I'll be most annoyed.

Fall back position is a Brother label printer (the modern version of the dymo label!) used with black type on clear tape. It will probably be easier to apply but there's no way it will look as good, with the lettering being on a tape, even if it is a clear tape!
Rob Swain
If the good Lord had intended man to fly, He would have given him more money.

paul330

Post by paul330 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:13 pm

Rob, I think it is just Safmat which is in short (or no) supply. I think the normal rub-down lettering would work well but lining everything up would be difficult.

Ian, I think Lazertran may do the trick. Thanks - I'll order some and experiment. Not sure if I can print white on it though.
Paul Marskell
RV-10 ZU-IIZ

Dave Stephens

Post by Dave Stephens » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:17 pm

Try Nigel at the link below.

He does all my paint masks but i know he does the waterslide sets etc. he might be able to help

Dave

www.flightlinegraphics.com/

Dave Hall

Post by Dave Hall » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:13 pm

Looking through some old EAA Sport Aviation magazines, I found a note about using transparent laser-printed adhesive labels. Obviously you have to have a light not dark panel for that to work, so it might not be appropriate for you, but it's another idea.

I have some aluminium ("silver") ones from Avery that stick well and look smart, which I use for the R/T practice intercom units. They seem to be reasonably resistant to abrasion, but could be given a coat of laquer to protect the print.

Reference numbers are L6011 for 20 A4 sheets each with 27 labels, and L6013 for A4 sheets. You're looking at around £15 for full packs, but some places might sell a few sheets for less.

jameskilford

Post by jameskilford » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:53 pm

Rob, I used the Letraset custom transfers. You upload to their site a piece of artwork as a graphic, and they send you back a custom page of Letraset! You can include lines, graphics, text, anything you want, and the results are brilliant. As you say, I then lacquered over the top. I've done all my switches, placards, reference speeds, etc. Looks very nice.

They're available here: http://www.letraset.com/products/90-Letraset-Transfers/ as are the original Letraset transfers.

HTH.

Rob Swain

Post by Rob Swain » Fri May 06, 2011 3:09 pm

That sounds fab - I'll bear that in mind for the next panel.
Rob Swain
If the good Lord had intended man to fly, He would have given him more money.

paul330

Post by paul330 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:04 am

Just to complete the thread......

I have gone with Lazertran using black lettering. It produces water-slide transfers and looks really great on a pale grey background. Once sprayed with a clear matt overcoat, you can barely make out the transfer background.

I toyed with the idea of DecalPro which can produce white lettering but it's a tortuous process. In any case, the white didn't give enough contrast on my grey panel.

So now I need to get the final panel water-jet cut and sprayed ...... :?
Paul Marskell
RV-10 ZU-IIZ

ThePipster

Post by ThePipster » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:07 am

Hi James,

If you still have the artwork you uploaded to Letraset I would be grateful of a copy by way of an example.

Phil
Phil Hall

jameskilford

Artwork

Post by jameskilford » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:15 pm

Sorry Phil, just seen this. I've sent you a PM.

If anyone else wants details / artwork, just send me a PM and I'll be happy to oblige.