Walter Mikron

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Dave Reid

Walter Mikron

Post by Dave Reid » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:28 am

I am in the initial phase of buying a new Mikron III from the Czech Republic and have received a copy of Parma-Technik's contract for selling me same.

Does anyone have recent experience of importing one of these engines? I'd be interested to hear any comments on their experience, with buying, importing, or with operating.

Ian Law

Post by Ian Law » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:42 pm

Can't help with your question but I have wondered about a Mikron for my project and will be interested in any comments about this engine.

I'd probably have to look for a good second-hand specimen and would need to be confident that some sort of spares and engineering back up would be available!

Ian

Dave Reid

Post by Dave Reid » Fri May 27, 2011 7:21 pm

Hmm. OK, not much response here then!

I have ordered my engine, which should be delivered in 6 months time. If anyone has a vague interest in following the same route, I'd be happy to advise as I go along.

Cheers,
Dave

Dave Reid

Post by Dave Reid » Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:53 am

My new engine will be ready for delivery in the next couple of weeks.

Is anyone on the forum involved in transport able to recommend a solution to shipping the crate here? Weight is about 110kg, size L1000 x H700 x W600mm. I have been quoted a price from the factory, but would just like to explore other options.

Thanks,
Dave

John Riley

Post by John Riley » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:04 am

I have used Unifreight, they ship from USA or Europe, Air or sea. Will handle customs if you wish.
I have no conection with the company.
http://www.unifreight.co.uk

rogcal

Post by rogcal » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:52 pm

Not that it will help in your quest to find a carrier for your engine but it did remind me of the time a couple of decades ago when an aquaintance who was building a Currie Wot loaded his Walter Mikron engine into his little Fiat X1 sports car and drove it from the UK to the Walter factory.

I believe his intention was to see for himself the facilities in which his engine would be rebuilt however as far as I'm aware he didn't stay for the job to be done and had it freighted back home.
Roger Callow

Dave Reid

Post by Dave Reid » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:53 am

I've delayed my reply, waiting for a delivery result, which I now have. John, thanks for the suggestion. I'd now recommend Unifreight to others, being the proud possessor of a shiny new engine. I am well impressed with Parma Technik in the Czech Republic and if anyone is interested in a Mikron, I'd be happy to chat about my purchase 'experience'.

Ian Law

Post by Ian Law » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:47 am

Dave,

Glad to hear you now have a brand new engine.

The Mikron is a possible alternative to my stored Continental A-80, for my project and I may seek your advice if the forthcoming overhaul turns out to be too expensive! One major problem would be the design and approval of a new engine mount and associated bits and pieces.

Ian

Nick Allen

Post by Nick Allen » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:28 am

Might one ask how much a shiny new Mikron costs?

Dave Reid

Post by Dave Reid » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:47 pm

Nick,

The Mikron I have was priced in Euros at 8,940 plus VAT. This included mags, carb etc but not an electric boot. The Sterling price would of course be reflected in the current exchange rate.

Cheers,
Dave

Nick Allen

Post by Nick Allen » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:16 am

Thanks Dave. (In the greater scheme of things that actually seems quite reasonable for a "proper" aircraft engine.)