Who can sign off recurring inspections ?

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

David Lewendon

Who can sign off recurring inspections ?

Post by David Lewendon » Sat May 07, 2011 1:33 pm

Can someone please tell me if it is ok for a PPL to sign off a recurring inspection (each 50 or 100 hours) on an LAA permit aircraft or whether it has to be done by an inspector?

IE. Inspect an exhaust system and engine frame for cracks.

I notice that the previous owner of my aircraft has signed them off previously but he was the builder if that makes any difference.

Thanks

Bill Scott

Post by Bill Scott » Sun May 08, 2011 11:15 pm

If part of the regular/routine inspection/maintenance regime it sounds perfectly reasonable to do so. Check engineering section for info regarding pilot maintenance to confirm the extent of what you can do. A regular inspection should be noted in the log book and I believe you should note your pilots licence number when you initial the entry.

Standing by to be hung, drawn & quartered if any part of my response proved to be erroneous :wink: :wink:

Matt Dovey

Post by Matt Dovey » Sun May 15, 2011 1:00 am

David think the answer to that is no.The inspections should be signed for by an inspector.See TL2.05 for pilot maintenace.Any thing not mentioned in TL2.05 requires an inspector to sign for it.

Matthew Dovey