How Big?

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Dave Reid

How Big?

Post by Dave Reid » Sun May 29, 2011 6:19 pm

I'm about to cut holes in the bottom of my fuselage for aluminium snap-in circular inspection covers. Can anyone please confirm that the hole should be 2" radius? I'm assuming a purchase of covers from LAS...

Ta.

Nigel Ramsay

Post by Nigel Ramsay » Sun May 29, 2011 11:30 pm

I've just done one Dave. I assume you have the acetate rings bonded on to the fabric? Or is it an aluminium fuselage? In any case, I think you need the dimension from the inside of one retaining clip to the outside of the other to give you hole diameter. (I'd already fitted rings so just had to cut them out, hence I'm unable to quote dimensions!).

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Mon May 30, 2011 7:41 am

Dave, if it's anything other than unsupported fabric into which you are putting inspection holes you had best get your inspector's OK on it before you start cutting. Recent case of somebody cutting holes in ally skin to inspect fuel fitting and now has to replace panel because its strength has been compromised.

Dave Reid

Post by Dave Reid » Tue May 31, 2011 6:26 am

Thanks for the replies. The fuselage is 1mm ply skin all over, to be covered with fabric and my inspector is happy with the proposal. I will discuss with him again, just to be sure!

Rob Swain

Post by Rob Swain » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:41 pm

Think I'd discuss it with engineering as well.
It would be a major job to replace the skin if they didn't like it.

What do you need to inspect / access that hasn't required the holes before? Or do other people use other means, like small children or trained ferrets with toolbelts?
Rob Swain
If the good Lord had intended man to fly, He would have given him more money.

macconnacher

Post by macconnacher » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:47 pm

Dave
Put us out of our misery and tell us what you are building or restoring since it might help with the answers.
Stuart Macconnacher