T Hangar - temperature extremes - what's best for my Nipper?

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

RobW

T Hangar - temperature extremes - what's best for my Nipper?

Post by RobW » Tue May 31, 2011 11:02 pm

Hi All - I've recently acquired a Tipsy Nipper, and am keeping it in a small metal T Hangar. I might be paranoid but I've installed a max/min thermometer and found the temperature to go between 5 degrees C and 40 degrees C over the previous week. The hangar is dry and dusty at the moment, but prone to condensation in winter periods.
Is this range of temperature / humidity swing likely to be harmful for the wooden wing of the Nipper? My previous (rag and tube) plane started to grow mould on the Dacron wings, but otherwise seemed fine with it. But now I've got a 'traditional' wood wing etc, should I be concerned?

Also what's the general view on covering aircraft? Better to let them breathe? Old sheets? Polythene? Hermetically sealed !?? Bearing in mind that the aircraft is in regular use!

Thanks, Rob

macconnacher

Post by macconnacher » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:37 am

The conditions are OK as long as it is well ventilated, but only cover using old cotton bed sheets where you need to protect from bird effluent. A cockpit cover protects against dust and scratching.
I helped remove the fabric from the Shuttleworth Moth in the 70's that records showed had been last recovered in the early 30's and had always been stored in similar conditions to what you describe. It was in very good condition even though it did not have the benefit modern glues.

Keep it clean and ensure your drain holes are not blocked and when you wash it or come in from the rain check that you do not leave it with water in the control surfaces etc.

Wood and fabric structures if properly painted/varnished are very durable and your nose is the best device for sensing something is wrong so regularly open up inspection plates in the wing and rear fuselage and have a good "sniff".

If you have access to power it is not a bad idea that in the condensation season Oct etc that you place some small heaters in the cockpit and engine compartment. RS components make panel heaters which are ideal. Though for many years Shuttlwworth used 15W lamps in tin cans as heaters in the cowling of the Bristol Fighter before Rolls Royce allowed them to use antifreeze in the RR Falcoln during the winter.

Go out and fly it regularly throughout the year will also keep it in good condition. Hanger queens do not keep well.
Stuart Macconnacher

NickChittenden

Post by NickChittenden » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:55 am

Rob,

It might be worth lining the roof of your hangar with polythene sheet if it isn't so already: it's best fitted on the rafters before the tin sheets are nailed on but can be easily rigged on battens under the rafters. It stops 'condensation rain' which will occur when water condenses on the underside of the tin and then drips all over the aeroplane. This frequently occurs in the winter after a cold night followed by a sunny day. Make sure you give the water somewhere to go once it's caught by the polythene.

My hangar also has large ventilation holes covered in wire mesh and stays pretty dry in all seasons. Let the air circulate, don't seal it up. My previous hangar was open fronted, Old Rhinebeck style, and the aeroplane kept dry all year without worry.

Rob Swain

Post by Rob Swain » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:24 pm

If you've got severe enough condensation problems that it rains in the hangar then cut some holes in the sides and fit some vents.

If your previous aircraft grew a fur coat then it does sound like you need quite a bit more more ventilation.

Had the same issue with our rag and tube hangar (not a T - a 45' x 30' 'tunnel'). Had to cut large holes in the front and rear and put mesh in them.
Rob Swain
If the good Lord had intended man to fly, He would have given him more money.

RobW

Post by RobW » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:03 pm

Thanks Chaps - some good suggestions here. Yes I have suffered from 'condensation rain' in the past so I will definitely do something to address this. I think the bare earth/gravel floor doesn't help either, so I'll see if I can get a job lot of polythene, and will add a few vents.
I spoke to another chap who said he lined his with ply, which helped, and another suggestion was to use foam insulation boards - but that will probably get a bit pricey. Ebay here I come....!
Rob Weller
:-)