ALODINE??

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

tom601

ALODINE??

Post by tom601 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:14 pm

Hi guys,

I am just about to start construction of a Zenair 601 HD Kit, having read lots of websites over the last few months i would like some clarification regarding corrosion prevention.

Many websites talk about a product called Alodine, looks like a anodizing systmem but requires no electricity, to apply a oxodized surface to the parts thus preventing corrosion.

Many other websites just apply etch primer to the parts.

Is there any "right or wrong" menthod or any pros and cons are appreciated

Tom

mike newall

Post by mike newall » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:18 pm

Red Scotchbrite

Panel wipe to degrease

Use a simple etch primer such as Tetrosyl Autoprime or the LAS equivalent which is simple 50/50 mix, no carcinogens.

Sticks like the proverbial, works well, move on and get rivetting.

Alodine has nasty stuff in it, needs all sorts of prep, isn't needed for the type of construction we are doing.

Hey - how about that, didn't mention primer wars once....... Doh :roll:

mhunt1

Post by mhunt1 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:40 pm

Tom I'm building a Zodiac 601XL and have been using the Zinc Chromate Primers from LAS (p/nLAS 656) and find it is easy to use and also avaiable in rattle cans for the odd bit of touching up. Have found LAS to be very quick on deliveries which is always a help.

As for preparation I use the same method that Mike describes the only thing to add is that I prepare with the pad and de-grease then imeiately apply the primer. Once the primer has dried and hardened I'm suprised how robust it is to minor abraisions.

Good luck with the build PM me if you would like to have a chat.

Malcolm

Paul Hendry-Smith

Post by Paul Hendry-Smith » Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:36 pm

Hi Tom

I am just in the process of putting in an Alodine system for our aircraft kit and have been through all the info gathering. There are 2 type of Alodine, the one you can get from the likes of LAS contains Hexavalient Chromium and has certain health issues, see the film Erin Brockovich, the other does not and apart from chemical handling requirements is overall pretty safe. If you are just doing the odd bit then brush application and wash off would appear to be the best bet. If you want to do large panels and stuff then it starts getting really expensive as it is generally a 5 tank process.

It is way better than zinc chromate and if you are spraying that it also has considerable health issues, but there are cost implications, there are some plating shops that can offer Alodining as a process so that might be the cheaper route.

Paul
If you're faced with a forced landing, fly the thing as far into the crash as possible.
(Bob Hoover)

tom601

Post by tom601 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:12 am

thanks guys,
Ive decided to go down the route of Acid etch on most parts and Alchrom on items such as control horns, attachments etc that are more prone to wear.
Ive found a local anodising company that does alchom at around £25 per "wheel barrow full" of components (a technical volume measurment i know, his words not mine lol)

T

pbflyer

Post by pbflyer » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:37 am

I agree with Mike on this issue. However, if you do have the availability of a good local company who can apply an anodised coating to the more wear prone parts, this would also be benificial. It really would not be practical for homebuilders to try to apply a coating to the entire aircraft. As already mentioned, you would really need to immerse the parts to do this properly. Good luck with your kit build. I am currently investigating the CH650 with UL power. Can't wait to get to this years LAA rally!!!
Paul Bates

Keefley

Alodine etc

Post by Keefley » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:46 pm

This is music to my ears!

After decades in the aircraft industry working on big and small stuff it has ALWAYS been the standard to etch prime unless directed by the manufacturer. So I don't deviate from that.

Alodine is a good process but only to be used when directed by an approved repair scheme and by trained operatives. In the LAA sphere of influence it is inappropriate and hazardous.

During component manufacture anodising is the usual treatment and is permanent.

My friend Dick Dastardly will be smiling broadly when he here's about this...

Cheers

Keefley

:lol: