Is there an alternative to mags or Leburg for homebuilts?

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:18 pm

A very interesting article in the next mag about a home built all singing and dancing electronic igniton system designed for an O-200 but transferable to other engines.

rogcal

Post by rogcal » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:39 pm

I'd be interested to read the article Nigel, do you have a clue as to which year it was as I've got most of them back to '77.

Incidentally, I've just dug out the drawing and description sheet and it annotates that the research was carried out by Pete Gronow who was also a Fred owner at the time.
Roger Callow

Will Greenwood

Post by Will Greenwood » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:48 pm

Knowing RWG, he probably improved or modified it in some way, but I was told that it was an offical mod, and the new owner of the turb swears by it.

Will.

Ian Melville

Post by Ian Melville » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:33 pm

Has everyone digested the article on the MegaJolt?

The UK distributor Trigger wheel does a package for air-cooled VW engine
http://trigger-wheels.com/store/contents/en-uk/d45.html

If this does take off (pun intended) then It would seem like a good idea for the LAA to become a central depository for successful maps for different engines. Saves people reinventing the wheel.

I'm a long way off this stage yet in my project

MORGS

VW Ignition System

Post by MORGS » Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:40 am

Just taken charge of a machine with 1834 VW; it has twin electronic ignition split intp two independent systems. One using a sensor on the original distributor drive - the other sensor off a flange behind the prop hub. Currently undergoing extended flight testing to prove system. Both sensing systems, Boyer Bransden and Pazon, are well proven on classic motorbikes. Dual electrics throughout with twin batteries driven from Great Plains permanent magnet alternator. If there's any weakness in the system the latter might be it - but I'm still learning.
Works well so far.
I didn't design this system so credit goes elsewhere.

Ref Stromberg CD150Carbs
Anyone know, from experience, the minimum static head of petrol required to give adequate fuel flow into a Stromberg CD150 to keep an 1834 VW going at full tap?