Vans circuit diagram wanted, please.

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Tom Sheppard

Vans circuit diagram wanted, please.

Post by Tom Sheppard » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:38 pm

I'm researching the RV9 in order to help somebody free one from the grip of electrical gremlins. Owner has no circuit diagram for the aircraft and I'll have to generate one from the existing birds' nest in order to create a test programme for that before we connect the new panel up. I know that they are all different but I could do with a generic circuit diagram to give me a place to start from so if anybody could scan and e-mail me one I would be most grateful.
Thanks, Tom.

steveneale

Post by steveneale » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:09 pm

It is page 5-18 in the RV-9 construction manual.

Tom Sheppard

Post by Tom Sheppard » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:03 pm

Thank you Steve. I'll contact the owner and ask him to send me a copy as he ought to have it.

Rob Swain

Post by Rob Swain » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:12 pm

This does rather assume that the owner has even tried to follow that wiring diagram!

This site - http://www.aeroelectric.com/ - comes highly recommended by people who know about these things (I would prefer not to mention any names like Mark's) and I've used it myself.

There are details on the site of why it is a bad idea to follow the wiring diagram from the manual, like there is no over-voltage protection etc.
If the manual has been updated in this area then I apologise to all concerned.

Having done a full rewire and other electrical repairs to my RV-6 the other year due to a runaway alternator voltage I can vouch for the fact that such things do happen and over voltage protection and proper control of the alternator with an EXTERNAL regulator is an absolute necessity.

Quite frankly, if the wiring is a "birds' nest" and there is no diagram you'll save time by ripping most of it out and starting again. It's what I did!
Rob Swain
If the good Lord had intended man to fly, He would have given him more money.

Tom Sheppard

Post by Tom Sheppard » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:46 pm

Thank you. I'm much inclined to agree, especially as the reported cause of the problem was an overvoltage alternator. As it is not my aircraft (and I have yet to see what I am taking on,) I'm inclined to test every circuit and see what is good (and sufficiently well made,) before any radical surgery. I am constantly surprised that aircraft with avionics that cost as much as a good small car tend to have voltage regulators that would disgrace a seventies Italian motorcycle!