Oratex?

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Dave Stephens

Post by Dave Stephens » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:43 am

I used Oratex to cover my Fokker Eindecker which most people have seen, its tough stuff, I have been known to jet wash it when it gets muddy!

It is more expensive but VERY light and I am using it om my new Projec J SSDR which will be ready to test in a month or so

I have used Poly fiber on my Mustang tail feathers and its very good, but there is a lot of spraying/sanding/finishing with Poly fiber that you dont need to do with Oratex so its much quicker/cleaner.

Dave

Bill McCarthy

Post by Bill McCarthy » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:48 pm

Go on then, how much per sqare meter approx?
edited to add:
I've found the price list and I now know that it would have worked out at half the price of having a new set of tail covers made up for me. Damn.

Dave Stephens

Post by Dave Stephens » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:10 am

Can't remember how much, it was not cheap, but I think once you add up all the "wet stuff" on traditional covering I bet there is not a lot in it. All you need with oratex is the covering, tapes, glue and an iron

Talk to Paul at the light aircraft company TLAC and he will give you a price

Dave

rogcal

Post by rogcal » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:57 pm

I've looked at the Oratex price list and it is scary to say the least but I take the point that it is a one hit wonder where no dopes and finishes are required to complete the job and a saving could be made there.

The thing that does make it expensive for me is the fact that if I do the wings and ailerons in Oratex and leave the tailplane and rudder untouched as they don't need recovering, the difference in finish will be very, very, noticeable and the unnecessary cost of covering the "rear end" as well just for appearance sake would be prohibitive.

I do however like the Stewart System as a means of applying ceconite and shall more than likely choose this method rather than seam cement and the fumes and time constraints that go with that method of applying fabric.
Roger Callow