Paint removal from fabric covered aircraft

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

ThePipster

Paint removal from fabric covered aircraft

Post by ThePipster » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:38 am

Hi All,

Does anyone know if it is possible to remove the paint from ceconite or is necessary to recover the aircraft?

Thanks

Phil
Phil Hall

rogcal

Post by rogcal » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:51 am

Never been tempted to try it myself but a quick Google produced this:

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/c ... estrip.php

and further Googling found other aviation forums where it had been discussed but from what I read it's very time consuming and where the covering is of a certain age, recovering rather than paint removal is recommended.

Please keep us posted on how it went if you do go ahead, as I for one would be interested.
Roger Callow

chrismk260

Post by chrismk260 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:21 pm

back in the days of ye oldy chipmunk which is linen depending on the area you need to strip we used to use aceton to remove the paint all be it it took the dope with it aswell then you have to reapply dope and paint we got a good finish on them (these were military aircraft) you could try it on ceconite but with glues and seam cement i would use great care and if its on wood it will eat the varnish

ThePipster

Post by ThePipster » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:50 am

Thanks for the replies.

My problem is that the paint has cracked and ring wormed in many places. I am happy with the colour of the paint, I am concerned that it will start to flake off. I have heard that rejuvenator may solve the problem, but I would really like to avoid have to recover the whole aircraft as my Inspector is happy with the condition of the fabric (which is Ceconite).

Phil
Phil Hall

Rod1

Post by Rod1 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:41 am

Gardan GY-20 Minicab?

The acetone trick has been used on Jodel and Robin aircraft so it should be ok for a Minicab.

Rod1

ThePipster

Post by ThePipster » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:51 pm

Yes the very same. Quite a bit of resurrection work in progress!

I shall discuss acetone with my inspector.

Thanks again

Phil
Phil Hall

Bill McCarthy

Post by Bill McCarthy » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:00 pm

I wouldn't let Acetone anywhere near an aircraft. It is a relatively powerful solvent and if it penetrates your fabric it will significantly degrade the glue holding your pride and joy together. Don't do it !!

tnowak

Post by tnowak » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:19 pm

Wht not e-mail Randolph paints and get their opinion? Google Randolph Paints to get their contact e-mail address.

Tony N

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:05 am

Removing small areas of paint from fabric for localised repairs is one thing, but if you are talking large areas because of failed paint then that's another matter entirely. Ringwormed paint suggests that it may well not be an aircraft quality butyrate dope finish that was used, but automotive cellulose which, even with the addition of a plasticiser, will harden over time and start to crack. If this is the problem you have, and it is extensive, you are better off removing the fabric and recovering because ultimately you will never be happy with the results from stripping. You will always have a suspicion of whether the glue bond has been affected, and it will cost you at least the same amount of time and money.
If it is only localised then cellulose thinner will take off the paints and clear dope layers, unless of course some kind of polyurethane finish has been applied, in which case you are pretty well stuffed.
You may well end up opening a very large can of worms here, so think very carefully before proceeding. If all you are worried about is cosmetic and your inspector is happy with the integrity, you may well be better off leaving well alone.

ThePipster

Post by ThePipster » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:30 pm

Brian Hope wrote: You may well end up opening a very large can of worms here, so think very carefully before proceeding. If all you are worried about is cosmetic and your inspector is happy with the integrity, you may well be better off leaving well alone.
You may well be right. I good clean and possibly some localised patch up is probably best.

Phil
Phil Hall

ZuluAlpha

Post by ZuluAlpha » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:04 am

I have Ceconite covered with Imron which has started to crack in places.

I haven't found a good way to remove and replace paint, it always looks bad. Much better to put a sticker over it in my view. Aircraft Spruce ones come in different sizes and are free, but there are many others

If you contact people who make registration letters they can get you sheets of the sticky backed plastic in 100s of colours. I use a piece of this with a close colour match to cover some of the cracks.

David
David Jenkins

MORGS

PAINT REMOVAL ON CECONITE

Post by MORGS » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:56 pm

Many years ago I removed all the paint from an Aeronca Chief using MEK but changed to safer (slightly) acetone. That was butyrate over nitrate. Took ages, used to come away with a good 'high' after an hour. Soaked rags left on covering for 5 minutes did the trick - difficult to do underside of anything! Would not try it again - paint is more costly than fabric and if it's wrinkled and cracked must be old; quicker to recover.
Recently tried to remove 2 pack over nitate base on ceconite for a small repair. Found the best way was from the back by dissolving nitrate - couldn't get anything to dissolve 2 pack that wouldn't also eat polyester.

Remember if paint is cracked UV will no doubt have got through narrow slit to polyester and damage done locally.

ThePipster

Post by ThePipster » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:05 pm

I think that I will be recovering the whole aircraft next year in Oratex. It is expensive but rapid!

Pipster
Phil Hall

Rod1

Post by Rod1 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:54 am

Is Oratex ok for the wing loading on a Jodel?

Rod1

Bill McCarthy

Post by Bill McCarthy » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:19 am

I would urge again against using acetone. Apart from the risk of ending up with a pile of sticks and floppy fabric or possibly a weakened structure, the acetone could react explosively with some of the ingredients used in the "vintage" build.