aircraft weighing

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Trevor Harvey

Post by Trevor Harvey » Fri May 30, 2008 4:31 pm

If anyone is still looking at this thread, Is it vital to use 3 sets of scales or can one do it as we did with gliders, one wheel at a time with one set?

Bill McCarthy

Post by Bill McCarthy » Fri May 30, 2008 5:19 pm

Trevor,
Don't forget to elevate the wheels that are not being weighed, to exactly the same height as the one on the scales.

Trevor Harvey

Post by Trevor Harvey » Fri May 30, 2008 6:20 pm

Correct, elevating all wheels to straight & level flight attitude, Then replace the appropriate block with the scales, I just wondered if it was an acceptable method.

Post by Guest » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:47 am

If anyone wants some good solid accurate scales then I have a pair of VETEK weightblocks that weigh upto 130kg, you can get them for up to 200kg but I do not have those.

They have served me well and continue to do so.

I can hire them out to you if required or I can bring them to you for a fee.

Here is a link to them:-

http://www.vetek.com/Shop/Arts/Detail.aspx?artID=998

Regards
Mark Jones

Bill McCarthy

Post by Bill McCarthy » Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:18 pm

I checked out my digital bathroom scales with some test weights and they are correct within 0.1 Kg, over the range 0 to 150 Kg in 25 Kg stages. There's a good chance that they can be bought for less than the cost of hire. In addition, you can check weigh at any time or be "top of the pops" if you lend them to your mates for their weigh ins.

tnowak

Post by tnowak » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:35 pm

I purchased some digital scales from that well known retail hire shop (Arg*s) in order to weigh my aircraft. They worked great except the display went blank after approx 30 seconds (power saving feature). I think that would have been a problem as the only way to get the scale display back was to remove the weight (aircraft).
I took them back (unused!) for a full refund!

In the end I purchased some reasonably priced (cheap) analogue bathroom scales from same hire outfit and they worked a treat. Interestingly, I then had an opportunity to check my W&B using professional digital scales a few weeks later and the bathroom scale readings were within 1-2 lbs of the digital scales.

John Brady

Aircraft Scales

Post by John Brady » Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:29 pm

The LAA has a set of aircraft scales. Perhaps members should ask to borrow them. The BMAA has a set as well.

JB

Re: Aircraft Scales

Post by Guest » Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:39 am

Mach2 wrote:The LAA has a set of aircraft scales. Perhaps members should ask to borrow them. The BMAA has a set as well.

JB
Thats all well and good but it tracking them down and collecting them only to fine they don't work or have been brocked as has happened to me.

mcfadyeanda

Post by mcfadyeanda » Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:18 pm

I have in the past found the BMAA set of digital scales to be MASSIVELY out of tolerance, despite having a current certificate of calibration.

DMcF.