T45 Steel Tube

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

ColinC

T45 Steel Tube

Post by ColinC » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:48 pm

Does anyone have any advice on sources for T45 steel tube (more properly 4T45 T100)

I need a variety of sizes and gauges in small lengths and am hoping to find someone who is happy to supply offcuts rather than 4m lengths.

I also need small quantities of S514 sheet in 16, 18 and 20 swg if anyone has any to spare or can point me at a supplier.

regards,

Colin
Last edited by ColinC on Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Colin Cheese

cardiffrob

Post by cardiffrob » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:32 pm

Wot. Building another FRED????
Rob Thomas

ColinC

Post by ColinC » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:36 pm

Hi Rob,

this is for a Chilton, it uses a wide variety of tube sizes and am trying to avoid buying stock lengths as in many cases I just need a few inches of a particular size.

regards,

Colin
Colin Cheese

mike newall

Post by mike newall » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:06 am

What is wrong with 4130 ?

The main thing, if you are swapping is to get a compatible filler rod.

This from a quick search - we have always used CMS32 by the way.

FK,

Oxweld 7 is basicly a drawn iron wire, and was the standard for most weldments in 4130 up to about 1/8" thick. Thicker then that Oxweld 1 was usually suggested and is a "low alloy" filler. 32CMS was heat treatable as was used in areas that would recieve a heat treat above the normalized condition and contained chromium, moly, etc. etc. Of course there was no hard and fast rule as it has a lot to do with the joint configuration and application. In WW2 military aircraft design prints you see mostly oxweld 7, with oxweld 1 being used in some heavy critical areas like wing attach points and 32cms on heat treated gear assemblies. It should be noted that the tensile strengths of the pure filler is not what the weldment tensile strength ends up being due to intermixing of the alloys. the AMS did a bunch of testing years back on this for an aerospace firm, I dont have the numbers in from of me right this second but they ended up being much much higher then the filler tensile strength.
Now back to Tig, in a letter I have from one of the aircraft companies from 1964, it explains why they chose oxweld 65 ( now called er70s-2 ). It was due to the ductility and elongation of the material. They WANTED a softer material since the area of reinforcement ( weld bead ) more then makes up for the slightly lower strength compared to the base 4130, and the end result was a more ductile weldment. Unfortunately not much has been done in recent years as far as company sponsored engineering help as 4130 tubing is now mostly reserved for engine mounts and such. However the materials have not changed, so I tend to follow the trends from when the material was in the prime of its use in a critical application. I know im a bit of a "nerd" about this, you should see my library on this subject!

On a personal note, the old 32cms ( now replaced with RG-65 ) makes some beautiful welds if you ever section them or have to machine on the material!
-Aaron

ColinC

Post by ColinC » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:29 am

Hi Mike,

nothing at all wrong with 4130 and it is more readiliy available in short lengths, but I already have a certain amount of the T45 and would prefer to keep everything to the one grade if I can.

The weld information was interesting to read - thanks

regards,

Colin
Colin Cheese

Bill McCarthy

Post by Bill McCarthy » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:52 am

The most critical part of the weld being the root fill and nothing makes a better finish than the EB insert (these were developed by the Electric Boat Co. in the USA when builing their nuc boats). We still use them today for high integrity welds and systems and makes root fill a doddle.

ColinC

Post by ColinC » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:47 pm

Hi,

I have found a source of T45 that can supply most, but not all of the sizes I need.

I think that for them my order's a bit small scale, so if anyone wants to get hold of any T45 now might be a good time to get together - perhaps it may work out more cost effective for us as well as them.

regards,

Colin
Colin Cheese

ColinC

Post by ColinC » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:45 pm

The contact for T45 tube and 4130 etc is:

Pro Formance Metals Limited
Unit 14 Alvis Way,
Royal Oak Industrial Estate,
Daventry
NN11 8PG

Tel: 01327 311660
Fax: 01327 438011
www.proformancemetals.co.uk
E-Mail: [email protected]

I have been speaking to Joe Colantonio who has been very helpful and has dealt with homebuilders before so seems to accept that we are all a bit mad.

regards,

Colin
Colin Cheese