BOLTS HELP PLEASE

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

ninjasam

BOLTS HELP PLEASE

Post by ninjasam » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:49 pm

Hi all,

Ive bought a Taylormono plane!!

However it was delivered with the wings off, after a few weeks of sitting in the hanger i finally got round to putting the wings on, at closer inspection i realised the wing bolts are shredded. there's not much thread left and the nylon lock nuts have been pretty much rounded off!

The bolts are imperial and ive had NO luck in finding any anywhere!!! does anyone no were i can get replacements?? i have measurements but no part numbers!

Would greatly appreciated some help on this matter ASAP! i want to get her in the air before the weather stops me!

Thanks
Sam

Nigel Ramsay

Post by Nigel Ramsay » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:25 pm

Hi,

Try http://www.lasaero.com/site/products/ar ... =F04IMJMWT

as your first port of call.

macconnacher

Post by macconnacher » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:50 am

The bolts only hold the inserts in place for the main spar andif you need material to remake the insert bushes I have a large length of steel rod of the correct spec in my garage.
Last edited by macconnacher on Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stuart Macconnacher

mikeblyth

Bolts

Post by mikeblyth » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:07 pm

You should be so lucky
Mike :lol:

macconnacher

Post by macconnacher » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:32 pm

Yes!!!! or OOOPs!!!!!!!!!
i am in a meeting in Frankfurt and was not fully concentrating on my writing. will go back and edit.
Stuart Macconnacher

Rob Swain

Post by Rob Swain » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:09 am

As regards these bolts, in what way are they 'imperial'?
Is it the thickness of the shank, or the thread form (BSF/BSW etc)?
Rob Swain
If the good Lord had intended man to fly, He would have given him more money.

ninjasam

Post by ninjasam » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:52 am

Thanks Everyone!

I think ive found some! Haven’t got access to many tools, so is easier to replace like for like…
Thanks the offer Stuart if turn out to be the wrong type, I may come back to you!

Another Question- Anyone know the toque rating on the wing bolts?
Thanks again
Sam

Mark A

Post by Mark A » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:58 pm

Hi Sam,

I don't want to curb your obvious enthusiasm, but this will all need to be inspected and signed off by your inspector and he/she would be the best person to guide you through the tasks.

As for torques. Do you have the plans? If so, they may recommend the appropriate value. Failing that, I would suggest you obtain or download (free) a standard practice document like AC43.
That would usually be acceptable to your inspector and the LAA.

There may be special considerations if you are bolting through wood to not exceed the crush strength of the material and allow for humidity changes etc.
Mark Albery

Bill McCarthy

Post by Bill McCarthy » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:07 am

I would be surprised that there was a requirement to torque these when built where the standard "nip up" was the order of the day. You could get very technical with applying a torque value - establishing breakaway torque of the nut and whether lubrication is used for instance, both of which seriously affects the final pull up value.

Rob Swain

Post by Rob Swain » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:36 pm

Mark A wrote:I don't want to curb your obvious enthusiasm, but this will all need to be inspected and signed off by your inspector and he/she would be the best person to guide you through the tasks.
This is very good advice.

It does sound like you are new to this permit-to-fly aeroplane game and you really do need to have some instruction in both the engineering side and the paperwork aspects of it.

Find an inspector and they should be only too pleased to advise you in all aspects of permit aircraft ownership.

Once you get in the swing of it all it is reasonably straightforward, but ignore it and you could come unstuck (legally, safety wise, financially) very quickly.
Rob Swain
If the good Lord had intended man to fly, He would have given him more money.