Jabiru 2200 running cold

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Roger Pyne

Jabiru 2200 running cold

Post by Roger Pyne » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:55 am

I have a Jabiru 2200 that appears to run cold. The CHT read a maximum of about about 95 degrees C on one bank, 30 degrees lower on the other at max power falling lower in the cruise. They rarely reach the recomended range. The engine is running fine in all other respects oil pressure and temps and EGT' s are all good. Any suggestions please?

Rob Swain

Post by Rob Swain » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:06 pm

Put some duct tape over half the oil cooler.
Seen it done a couple of times in J400s with 3300 engines.
Rob Swain
If the good Lord had intended man to fly, He would have given him more money.

Roger Pyne

Post by Roger Pyne » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:35 pm

Rob Swain wrote:Put some duct tape over half the oil cooler.
Seen it done a couple of times in J400s with 3300 engines.
Hi Rob, I'll give it a try. Any other suggestions out there would also be apreciated. Does anybody else have a similar problem please?

Adrian Hatton

Post by Adrian Hatton » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:46 pm

Hi,

Is it a fine finned head model and where are your senders located?

My fine finned 2200A with sender rings between compression washer and plugs reaches nearly upper limits if I am held before t/o for any length of time but rapidly drops back towards the bottom of the green arc in flight and then only moves a small amount and as you would expect between climb and cruise.

Airflow over the heads can make a huge difference - have you checked for sealing of the ram air ducting to give even airflow over all heads and considered experimenting with the intake/exhaust cross sectional areas of the cowling at all?

Hope this helps
Adrian

Roger Pyne

Post by Roger Pyne » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:16 pm

Adrian Hatton wrote:Hi Adrian,

Thanks for the advise I will investigate further along the lines you have suggested and report back. Many thanks.

Regards,

Roger.

Is it a fine finned head model and where are your senders located?

My fine finned 2200A with sender rings between compression washer and plugs reaches nearly upper limits if I am held before t/o for any length of time but rapidly drops back towards the bottom of the green arc in flight and then only moves a small amount and as you would expect between climb and cruise.

Airflow over the heads can make a huge difference - have you checked for sealing of the ram air ducting to give even airflow over all heads and considered experimenting with the intake/exhaust cross sectional areas of the cowling at all?

Hope this helps
Adrian

dlicheri

low cht's

Post by dlicheri » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:48 am

i would try replacing the cht probe. unlikely that cylinder heads are running that cool!

Gary Omer

Post by Gary Omer » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:51 pm

remove the sensor, leave connected to the CHT gauge and plop it in a boiling kettle, then see what the gauge reads. 102C or 212F if I remember. mine was over reading by 50F. If not under a plug, get a 12mm ring and fit it under the furthest away spark plug.