Electonic ignition advice requested Leburg failure

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

G-AWMN

Electonic ignition advice requested Leburg failure

Post by G-AWMN » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:13 pm

I have recently just finished rebuilding a Luton Minor and have flown so far about 4 hours. (Francis wants 5 hours for certification) I rebuilt the VW engine with Leburg ignition units during the rebuild.

Yesterday at 1500 ft over head Great Oakley one of the Leburg units failed. In a previous post it was suggested that John Winslow could repair these units. I have contacted John and he has said that due to product liability he will no longer do any repairs to these units.

This obviously leaves me grounded until I can get this sorted. Can any forum member suggest a contact who may be able to possibly help.

Now that the Leburg system appears to be no longer supported I think I will have to look at alternative systems. Any suggestions?

Stuart Penfold

Hamish Mead

Post by Hamish Mead » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:35 pm

Did you try Leburg.com? http://www.leburg.com/index.php?p=1_3_Contact

I know little about Leburg, however Roland Janssen of the Netherlands (Starlet PH-RJW) recently recommended Leburg on the Starlet Yahoo group. I believe he has the system installed in his Starlet.

I just tried calling the Leburg UK mobile number and while no one answered, the name on answer-phone message matches the name on the website.

Edit: In this thread, Dave Unwin mention's he had no luck in contacting Leburg.

Good luck.

Let us know how you get on.

Airstripflyer

Leburg Ignition System

Post by Airstripflyer » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:58 pm

The Leburg system is such a good system that it must not be allowed to fail due to lack of repair facilities. I have one fitted to my Flitzer and it is excellent. If product liability is what is stopping the units being repaired would it be possible for the LAA insurance to cover the liability issue?

rogcal

Post by rogcal » Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:15 pm

Stuart

I'm still hopeful that the situation regarding servicing and repair of Leburg control units is still a possibility following receipt today of an email from John Winslow where he explains what has been delaying progress and as you say in your posting, product liability is the main stumbling block.

Airstripflyer in his post has indicated a possible solution to John's dilemma and come the new year I feel sure this option will be pursued by those members best placed to do so.
Roger Callow

Airstripflyer

Post by Airstripflyer » Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:15 pm

Stuart,

I don't know whether you have tried this fix, but I remember in the early days of electronic ignition systems in cars a fix was to put the unit in the oven at a low heat for a while to dry everything out.

G-AWMN

Leburg Ignition failure

Post by G-AWMN » Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:33 pm

Airstrip flyer,

Thanks for that suggestion. That is almost exactly what I have done. First I swapped the connections and still had an issuehis was done straight after landing. I then took both units of the plane. Removed the covers. No obvious damp, approximately 2 days storage in airing cupboard. Checked faulty unit again and it is now functioning correctly.

I am hoping it was a fluke caused by damp and not a faulty component. At the time of the failure the engine was not yet up to maximum typical temperature. I would understand a dry joint better if it was running hot.

I am going to discuss this with engineering after Christmas but I think some test flights over the airfield to check ignition out. I will swop the units left/right so that if it fails again I will be able to confirm it is the control box and not wiring.

Thanks for all advice and I will post progress when I have more information.

On a different note. (thread drift but it is my thread) The Luton is flying fantastic. Bit on the slow side (cruse 70mph indicated at 3000 rpm) but I knew this when I started the rebuild. The controls are light and well balanced. The ailerons have surprised me how affective they are. It has the glide angle of a brick but I cannot help smiling at the sideslip approaches, 500 ft. over the hedge on an 800 yard runway and still get in with runway to spare. I also fly a Super Cub and the Luton’s lack of momentum on the round out compared with the Cub has to be watched as it loses speed at an alarming rate. A small amount of power seems to help. I cannot wait to try out some of the smaller farm strips. I think the Luton will handle most short microlight strips with ease. Cockpit is surprisingly cramped but draft free which I am told is unusual.

Stuart Penfold

cardiffrob

Post by cardiffrob » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:28 am

http://www.norbsa02.freeuk.com/goffypazon.htm

Whilst looking for bulbs for my 1932 Morris Minor I came upon this site which advertises a 'Pazon' system. Not sure if it is any good as a possible Leburg-esque ignition system for VWs.

Just for info.
Rob Thomas