Felt washers to fit 600x6 wheels & 1-1/2"OD axle

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Ian Law

Felt washers to fit 600x6 wheels & 1-1/2"OD axle

Post by Ian Law » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:49 pm

Does anyone happen to know where I can find the dimensions of the felt grease seal washers ( possibly Cleveland p/n 154-00400 ) that fit inside the pairs of cupped and tabbed washers on my Cleveland wheels? The wheels are older models and no specific part number is visible. Axles are 1.5"OD. The inside dia. of the steel washers is 1.75". There were no felt grease washers with my secondhand wheels, so I have nothing to guide me.

I assume that the inside edge of the felt washer should be in tight contact with either a spacer adjacent to the bearing(that should be in place - but isn't!) or the cylindrical outer surface of the wheel nut?

LAS supply them at around £45 inc. VAT & delivery for 4, but I may be able to have them made for me for about a tenner.

Ian

Ian Law

Post by Ian Law » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:49 pm

Just an update and for the record, I bought a single washer from LAS ( @ about £12 ), measured this and ordered replicas from worldofwashers.com
They supplied me, by return almost, with 10 felt washers exactly the same size as the Clevelands and made from what appears to be much superior felt, for £10 + p&p.
The Cleveland washer looks like it was made from the compressed contents of my vacuum cleaner, but I haven't installed the new ones so can't yet vouch for them.
Ian