Ken Fern Props

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Jonathan Wilkins

Ken Fern Props

Post by Jonathan Wilkins » Mon May 26, 2008 10:58 pm

I currently have a Ken Fern 54"x32" on my Turbulent coupled to a 1600 VW. At 3100 rpm on the climb out she appears to lack speed and climb compared to the other Turbs based with mine (6 of them) which run with a selection of R W Greenwood and Evra props, but clearly she does not lack power.
The take off weight isnt an issue but a few people ive chatted to advised that Ken Fern props dont bring out the best performance and that changing the prop would probably make a difference.
Has anybody else had any issues with Ken Fern props or heard of any stories similar to mine??

PB

Post by PB » Tue May 27, 2008 8:43 am

I changed the 54"x34" Ken Fern prop on my Tipsy Nipper for a 56"x34" Chris Lodge and it climbed faster, cruised faster and used less fuel......

In simple terms, the blades on the Ken Fern prop are too thick. It uses lots of power dragging itself round and has not a lot left to pull you along.

J.C.

Post by J.C. » Tue May 27, 2008 8:24 pm

They are ok for clubbing flies to death,but that's about all!

Jonathan Wilkins

Post by Jonathan Wilkins » Tue May 27, 2008 10:01 pm

Thanks guys.....my thoughts exactly. Im glad its not just me. Any suggestions for an alternative that is practically available??

David Hardaker

There's props, and there's props

Post by David Hardaker » Wed May 28, 2008 5:47 pm

Jonathan
Alan Newton make very nice props that work well. We have one on a Jodel D18.
Google will find him.
Chris Lodge props are also OK
Regards
David.

Jonathan Wilkins

Post by Jonathan Wilkins » Thu May 29, 2008 6:30 pm

Thanks David, I did get a quote for a Newton prop, i just wanted to see one first. Chris Lodge is no longer producing props but if i could choose it would probably be either a Lodge, RWG or Evra.