C42 Overheating

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

robi1045

C42 Overheating

Post by robi1045 » Fri May 18, 2012 4:06 pm

Hi Guys. I'm not very good at driving computers or forums but I'll give anything a bash as I want some help!
My C42 with 912S engine has decided it wants to run 20* hotter than it's counterparts but still within it's limits, which is okay at the moment but when the weather gets hotter it could pose a problem.
The guys who know more about engines than I have been through the lot, sensors, water pumps, radiator checked, you name it we've been there. However, four good mechanics have suggested I change the radiator as experiance has taught them that despite the radiator being checked it did turn out to be the problem on other projects.
Herein lies the problem. If I buy a new radiator and it doesn't cure the problem I'm down £420. I can't get one on sale or return and I'm looking for either a second hand one or one to try, for which I'll pay a negotiated fee.
Can anyone help please?
Many thanks John Robinson

Kevin Dilks

Radiator

Post by Kevin Dilks » Fri May 18, 2012 4:34 pm

Take the rad off and flush it backwards with a fire hose or somthing that can really chuck out some volume and pressure then try . Wont cost a lot and if the rad has got block it may shift it. make sure you dont use more than 50% Glycol too in the coolant mix

Cheers
Kevin

Tom Sheppard

Post by Tom Sheppard » Fri May 18, 2012 7:50 pm

Have a good look through the radiator once it is off. If it has picked up a load of mud and bugs, the reduction in airflow will cause the temperature to rise. Worth having a good look at the thermostat, too. They do fail and if it isn't opening fully, that could be it.

robi1045

Re: C42 Overheating

Post by robi1045 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:12 am

Many thanksfor your help. We have at last found the problem.

Briefly. Thr carb rubbers were replaced 4 weeks prior to the increase in temperature of 20*. Whilst once more trying to find what was wrong the resident mechanic decided to have a look at the carb rubbers to see if they had seated propley and, although it was miniscule, thought that the starboard side wasn't quite as it should be. He then told me to go and try it again but don't hold your breath because like everyone else I'm cluching straws!

Bingo it worked!

John Robinson