Minimum equipment

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Andrew Leak

Minimum equipment

Post by Andrew Leak » Sat May 31, 2008 2:34 pm

Hello all,

I was perusing through the engineering pages trying to find a reference to external daytime lighting on permit aircraft. I notice that microlights have to mount a strobe to stay within the dawn to dusk regulations, CofA aircraft also have a reg, but can't find any details on marker lighting or strobes on permit aircraft. The reason why I ask is because - in this crowded airspace - I thought it might be prudent to mount some such light to alert others of my presence when in the air. As my aircraft is of a vintage type a low current single strobe unit would be thought to be the ideal indicator. however, as there was no previous lighting installed, am I required to fit a basic system?
Or just for peace of mind?

Thanks

Andrew

gasax

Post by gasax » Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:18 am

Purely peace of mind.

But well worth doing.

IF it is an Auster there is any amount of precedent for a single strobe on the top of the rudder post (Ispent ages getting mine approved whilst they were CofC!). The same goes for virtually all the tube and fabric Pipers - the only problem is that the rudder post needs to be reinforced where the wiring exits the rudder post and that means removing a chunkl of fabric and welding.

With timber it should be much easier.