Rotax and Avgas

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

gregorp

Re: Rotax and Avgas

Post by gregorp » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:22 pm

Hi,
Had the following reply to a question I asked BP customer service today re ethanol.
hope it is of use.

"Thank you for your email concerning the fuel sold by BP.

In most regions of the UK our Ultimate Unleaded dos not contain any Ethanol at present (South West UK excluded). This may of course change in the future as the specification allows up to 5%.

Our Regular grade gasoline does contain up to 5% bio ethanol in compliance with EN228 gasoline specification allowance in most regions of the UK.
All BP fuels, regular and BP Ultimate, contain additives which have cleaning and protection properties for the engine. BP Ultimate has been rigorously tested on a wide range of vehicles, covering thousands of miles, in various conditions. Its advanced formula offers a wide range of benefits including better fuel efficiency, more power, better responsiveness, and lower exhaust emissions, all of which gives long term benefit and value to the consumer and their vehicle.
BP does not supply Bio Ethanol as a fuel.

Thank you for taking the time to bring the matter to our attention and for allowing us the opportunity to respond to your concerns at this time."

So it would seem that, from BP, "Super" as required by the 912S is OK except in the South West.
Now all I have to do is find an easy way of getting 80 litres from the garage to my aircraft!

Pete
Pete Gregory

John Clarke

Post by John Clarke » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:32 pm

Thanks for posting that very useful reply from BP. I wonder what the additives are and whether they are acceptable for use in a Rotax?

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:49 am

Hi guys, I hate to rain on your parade but the 'Super' unleaded fuels, regardless of whether they contain ethanol, are not the same as EN228 and therefore legally not permitted for use in aeroplanes. The CAA regs specifically call for EN228 without ethanol. Super unleaded fuels (like BP Ultimate) are manufactured to BS7800.
I am no chemist or fuels expert but I believe one of the problems with Super unleaded fuels is a higher risk of vapor locking.

tnowak

Post by tnowak » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:20 am

The last time I tested Murco regular unleaded petrol (a few weeks ago) it was free from alcohol. For my location, I think they get their bulk supplies from Milford Haven, so Murco regular unleaded available in southern England is probably alcohol free (at the moment).
Tony Nowak
Tony Nowak

MikeM

Post by MikeM » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:29 am

I believe Murco is the only supplier that has ethanol free unleaded in the south west.
Their map of stations throughout the UK is at http://www.murco.co.uk/serviceStationMap.htm
Mike Mold (007106)
Jodel D117A G-BFEH, Watchford Farm, Devon

ThePipster

Post by ThePipster » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:13 pm

Brian Hope wrote:Hi guys, I hate to rain on your parade but the 'Super' unleaded fuels, regardless of whether they contain ethanol, are not the same as EN228 and therefore legally not permitted for use in aeroplanes. The CAA regs specifically call for EN228 without ethanol. Super unleaded fuels (like BP Ultimate) are manufactured to BS7800.
Hi Brian,

You are essentially correct except there are "Super Unleaded" fuels on the market that are EN228 compliant, the Esso Ultimate fuel is an example. I think the key is to check the pump as it will be clearly marked.

Phil
Phil Hall

gregorp

Post by gregorp » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:08 pm

I am becoming a little more confused over which mogas to use in my 912S. The book says super fuel Min RON95, AKI 91. Regular fuel in the UK appears to meet this spec. Am I correct in thinking that I can use regular fuel in my 912S (in the UK).

Pete
Pete Gregory

hazelpilot

Post by hazelpilot » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:30 pm

I bought a blue cotton swap ethanol test kit and used it this weekend on some of my fuel, and some other fuel belonging to another pilot. My BP 95 from our local station (A10 near cambridge) turned blue very quickly, and the shell 95 did a little later. I run a Rotax 582, and the manual specifically states DO NOT USE FUELS WITH ETHANOL in. There are a few with 912ul in the hanger starting to have running problems, and I am concerend the ethanol is to blame. Can we simply wash-out the ethanol by mixing in 15% water and then removing the ethanol/water mix ?
Hazel Chase

Kevin Dilks

Post by Kevin Dilks » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:20 am

few answers to above points
NEVER wash out the ethanol in affected fuel as this will lower the octance rating of the fuel by several points and then you risk destroying the engine. this goes for 2 or 4 stroke.

UK "normal" fuel is the same a "super "in Europe were they have a lower grade as the base fuel . They have three types of un leaded , so stock 95 ron / 91AKI does the job , As Brian says avoid the higher octane stuff as this is not EN228 and has often more ethanol to increase octance but also this makes the lambada sensor in a car richen the fuel mix up so the turbo nutters get more zing from it.......... maybe ok if you run a Subaru engine ................. only joking.

Cheers
Kev

Rob Swain

Post by Rob Swain » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:04 pm

Surely the easiest thing to do is lean on your airfield's management and ask them to start supplying UL91.

Sleap (admittedly an unusual case as the club runs the field) has done this recently.
The new tank is an above-ground self-contained affair (tank, pump, shutters etc all in one) that is dropped off of the back of a lorry on to a suitable surface (a new concrete pad at Sleap) and connected to the electrickery supply. OK, there's some paperwork hoops to jump through, but nothing impossible for an outfit already selling AVGAS.

Given the large and ever increasing number of Slotaxes out there, it's about time that the airfield management around the country woke up and started to make some money out of this obvious demand.
Rob Swain
If the good Lord had intended man to fly, He would have given him more money.

Rob Swain

Post by Rob Swain » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:21 pm

Found this...

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/s ... hp?t=91562

We are not alone with this issue....
Rob Swain
If the good Lord had intended man to fly, He would have given him more money.

Kevin Dilks

Post by Kevin Dilks » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:19 am

I notice the half penny green has removed UL 91, I asked Chris at Turweston and he suggested that it was the price V volume was not worth there while.
He also mentioned that lycomings from Turweston were experiancing better fuel consumption when using the UL 91 , can any one confirm this as this would make the lycosurus boys more attracted to it.#
Hope Leciester gets UL 91 soon............

Cheers
Kevin
:)

Nigelcot

Post by Nigelcot » Tue May 07, 2013 9:50 am

Its odd how the CAA love quoting the "manufacturer" where following the advice is more onerous and expensive, however where following the manufacturer's advice is safer, easier and cheaper obviously the CAA prohibit following it.
Nigel Cottrell

carlmeek

Post by carlmeek » Fri May 17, 2013 11:49 am

I just stumbled across this thread, and it's very much connected to a question I posted on the Flyer forum to clarify the difference between BS7800 and EN228 specifications around super-unleaded. Please see here:

http://forums.flyer.co.uk/viewtopic.php ... 0#p1170030
Carl Meek

MikeM

Post by MikeM » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:01 am

Interesting and encouraging development regarding the use of Super Unleaded.
http://forums.flyer.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=83659
Mike Mold (007106)
Jodel D117A G-BFEH, Watchford Farm, Devon