What is a good workshop?

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

malcolm frost

Re: What is a good workshop?

Post by malcolm frost » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:37 am

I'm being a bit cheeky to post in this thread, but it seems appropriate!
I'm 85 pages into a J430 build, but have stalled a bit, as I simply haven't got the space in our small garage to move around easily, any job needs stuff to be moved so I can work.
What I'm after is a small industrial unit/hangar that I can lay everything out in. I would be happy to share with someone else. Commercially these are quite expensive.
I'm in the SW Surrey area (Hindhead), anywhere within about 5 miles would be good.

Bill Scott

Re: What is a good workshop?

Post by Bill Scott » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:34 pm

When I stripped my aircraft and re-skinned it, I did so in the workshop at the strip which is 20 miles from home. There were weeks when I never got near the place, due to long working days and time pressure. had I brought it home to my double garage, I'd have completed the task so much quicker. keep your options limited to home and you will be able to be so much more productive, all those odd half hours will add up

Edit: Apologies for making it clear, this is a response to the opening post, not Malcolms.