Magneto overhaul

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Jeremy Liber

Magneto overhaul

Post by Jeremy Liber » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:10 pm

Can anyone recommend a good magneto overhauler/fixer? I have a pair of Slick 4301s on the O-200 in my Jodel that could do with a coat of looking at. They've done about 700hours since new and starting is getting difficult.

Thanks

Jeremy

JohnMead

Re: Magneto overhaul

Post by JohnMead » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:36 pm

Jeremy,
email me re mags.

Dave Evans

Post by Dave Evans » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:38 pm

I had mine done at Norvic Aero Engines, very quick and reasonable.

http://www.norvic.com

Jeremy Liber

Post by Jeremy Liber » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:48 pm

Thanks Dave and John

I've just had them looked at by Tim at Oaksey Park but heven't run them yet. He was also quick and reasonable so I'm hoping to be able to report a successful outcome.

Jeremy

Rob Swain

Post by Rob Swain » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:00 am

700 hours?
My inspector insists mags are overhauled at 500 or soon after. He's very good and checks them at the permit renewal / annual inspection and lets us know that they will need doing before next time.

And yes, he did refuse to sign off permit renewal on an RV that he had advised a year ahead and hadn't got them done.
Rob Swain
If the good Lord had intended man to fly, He would have given him more money.

mike newall

Post by mike newall » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:14 pm

The 500 hour is an SB, not an AD.

It is not a requirement, it is a recommendation.

That said - if the mags are running fine, don't fiddle and if your Inspector 'insists' on an overhaul at 500 hours......... change your Inspector 8)

Terry Lee

Post by Terry Lee » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:32 pm

mike newall wrote:The 500 hour is an SB, not an AD.

That said - if the mags are running fine, don't fiddle and if your Inspector 'insists' on an overhaul at 500 hours......... change your Inspector 8)
How very true!! Slight drift here but I wonder if anyone has come across this before. A friend of mine has just had a BTH impulse mag overhauled, armature rewound and new condenser etc, its off a Cirrus powered Auster, on the bench the newly overhauled mag produces a big spark, but when bolted to the engine it will not :?

We have so far proved 100% it has nothing to do with points, ignition harness including plugs, mag switch P lead or points cover. It is so bizarre, this happens, the mag is sat on the floor next to the Auster with a jump lead connecting its casing to one of the mounting studs on the engine, so it is effectively earthed at the same potential as the engine. With a single wire connected to one of the HT outputs on the distributor cap and held a few mm from its casing or the engine and it will spark when turned,
bolt it to the engine and carry out the same test by turning the prop and it will not spark :?

It is going back to the overhaulers, but if anyone has any ideas or similar experiences we would be very interested to hear!

Clive Richards

Post by Clive Richards » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:37 pm

I do not know this make but is it set up for the correct rotation of the engine so when you turn the prop the magneto turns in the correct direction to release the impulse.

Clive

Terry Lee

Post by Terry Lee » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:54 pm

Clive, yes it is!

Terry

dangerous pete

Post by dangerous pete » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:43 pm

Terry,
If your mags work ok off the engine then they are ok. There must be something wrong on the engine. At a guess it could be the earth return gone high resistance. Refit the mags and run a temporary wire from the mag case to the cylinder head near the plugs. This will eliminate any dodgy contacts through nuts/bolts/washers etc.
Jeremy,
Have just had the mags off our A65, done after 500 hrs. Oil had got inside through the oil seals, and there were various things iffy inside. The cost by Swiftair at Leicester was over £800. Our mags are Bendix, and they have a lot of single use parts, which all have to be replaced. There was also mandatory replacement for some of the parts. The cost is worth it just for peace of mind. Slick mags apparently do not have single use parts on them and are consequently cheaper to overhaul.
Dont go down the 'dont disturb if ok' route, things wear out, oil gets in, I have a friend who was dropped out of the sky by oily mags, ok when cold, stop working on climbout.
Pete.
Peter Jeffcote

Terry Lee

Post by Terry Lee » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:22 pm

The fault has now been identified, it is the impulse. whilst on the bench if you turn the impulse and let go immediately after the click it sparks every time, but, if you keep hold of the impulse coupling after the click, as though simulating it being on the engine with the drag of the gear etc
it will not spark, so there is some unwanted friction somewhere which is proving very difficult to eliminate. I should add we have replaced the main spring but still its being obstinate.

Rob Swain

Post by Rob Swain » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:52 pm

dangerous pete wrote:The cost [of overhaul] by Swiftair at Leicester was over £800.
Isn't a brand new pair of Slicks about that, after the core return discount?

Probably the route I'd go.
Rob Swain

Jeremy Liber

Post by Jeremy Liber » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:15 pm

Magnetos overhauled by Tim at Oaksey Park. Quick turnaround at a reasonable cost and they now work fine.

We also had a problem with a tired and sha**ed out carburettor (probably done 2200 hours plus) which was making starting very iffy and, at the last attempt, we were 200rpm down on the (attempted) take-off roll.

Carburettor removed and sent to Nicholson Mclaren for complete overhaul. Again it was turned around in less than a week, £560 plus VAT. It has transformed the engine. Starts easily, runs smoothly throughout the rev range and ticks over better at about 600rpm. Looks nice too.

Rob Swain

Post by Rob Swain » Mon May 13, 2013 1:25 pm

Jeremy Liber wrote:Carburettor removed and sent to Nicholson Mclaren for complete overhaul. Again it was turned around in less than a week, £560 plus VAT.
Assuming it is a Marvel Schebler carb, you can get a brand new new one for not much more than that. (Adams Aviation)
Rob Swain

dmcnicholl

Post by dmcnicholl » Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:22 pm

mike newall wrote:The 500 hour is an SB, not an AD.
How very interesting. Is there an 'official' statement of that somewhere? I'm not doubting you but it would be nice to have in the locker at my next annual.
Donald McNicholl