Canopy Moulding

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

ColinC

Canopy Moulding

Post by ColinC » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:11 am

Hi,

has anyone got any practical experience of making their own canopy moulding that they'd like to share? I have read up what I can from from articles in old magazines and off the internet, but it looks like one of those black-arts with a steep learning curve.

It would be good to find someone (amateur or commercial) in the UK that has done it and could potentially advise or help me with a one-off.

regards,

Colin
Colin Cheese

macconnacher

Re: Canopy Moulding

Post by macconnacher » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:44 am

A useful source of canopies used to be motorcycles where the moulded windscreens were blown as a bubble and then cut to make two windscreens. G-BBBB the Mono has one and was one of a batch of canopies Pat Barker obtained in the 70's.
Stuart Macconnacher

mfalcon

Post by mfalcon » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:36 pm

Hi Colin,

I'd be interested to hear what you find, and how you get on. I'm building a taylor monoplane and will need to source a canopy too...

Regards,

Michael
Michael Falconer

Bill McCarthy

Post by Bill McCarthy » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:37 pm

There was a cracking article in an old PFA magazine, written by a chap who made a blown canopy for a Corby Starlet. I recall that it had several pictures of the set-up, including information on how he achieved the correct temperature for deformation of material.

ColinC

Post by ColinC » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:23 am

mfalcon wrote:Hi Colin,

I'd be interested to hear what you find, and how you get on. I'm building a taylor monoplane and will need to source a canopy too...

Regards,

Michael
Hi, any thing useful that comes up I will post here, I do have some links to various articles which I will add when I get a chance. Bill McCarthy mentioned an LAA magazine article that I haven't seen - perhaps someone will come across that. It will be useful when the PFA/LAA magazines are available as a pdf archive, there must be a lot of useful construction related articles in them.

regards,

Colin
Colin Cheese