Check flights for Permit renewals no longer mandatory?

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Chris Martyr

Re: Check flights for Permit renewals no longer mandatory?

Post by Chris Martyr » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:13 pm

Well spotted Bill ! You're on the ball mate.

At first glance it looks like it only relates to EASA types , but upon opening up the pdf it definitely looks like it includes national PtF types too.
It definitely makes sense to LAA types , as most of our fleet are probably only flown by a small number of pilots , or in many cases like my aeroplane, just one pilot . So if a defect was starting to manifest itself, it's highly likely that it would be noticed anyway , with or without a test flight . As opposed to flying club spamcans that are flown by hundreds of different pilots of differing abilities .
Also , it makes PtF renewal in the winter a lot more realistic , as many owners probably steer clear of this , as it is highly likely that the test flight would be precluded by adverse weather. So if this good news really is true , it will probably be a bit of a godsend to LAA Engineering as well , as it will spread their workload considerably .
Bit of good news makes a change doesn't it ?

Jim Alex

Post by Jim Alex » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:24 am

:D Will someone from the LAA clarify this?
Jim Alexander

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:16 am

Hi Alex, LAA Engineering is currently considering this issue, it has only just been announced by CAA so instant answers are not available. As things currently stand it does not affect LAA Permits, LAA is the continuing airworthiness authority for those aircraft and has not changed its requirements.
As an owner (note this is therefore a personal view and absolutely not connected to how LAA might or might not be thinking) I have no problem with an annual test flight - it can be done by the owner, at his leisure, and is a good measure of how the aircraft is performing against past tests. Such freedom to carry out the flight test is not typical across the board however, in many non LAA permit categories owners cannot easily conduct the test themselves, adding cost and hassle to the process.
I'm actually doing my permit now. I have had a mag off and changed the points and condenser. I've had the exhaust off to weld a crack. I've had the top of the fuel pump off to inspect the gauze screen, and likewise the gascolator. And changed the oil and filter. Would I assume it is AOK even with my inspector's signature - absolutely not. I will fly it solo within gliding distance of the strip on a 10 minute flight and then have the cowlings off to make sure all is OK. To then do a proper air test is no hardship and gives me the confidence to know the aeroplane is performing as it should, or it flags up a problem that I'd rather know about sooner rather than later.

Jim Alex

Post by Jim Alex » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:40 am

Thanks for the feedback, Brian, I wasn't suggesting for a minute that flight tests are not needed, just a bit of clarification. I've been happily doing them for years on my own a/c and club a/c in the distant past and did the CAA short course, and would not like to see them stopped.
Jim Alexander

mikehallam

Post by mikehallam » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:13 pm

I agree with Brian etc.

For our fixed wing a/c a flight test annually is probably the only time its safe performance range is measured, still of course on trust that the owner P1 doesn't fib or worse is too scared to do the stall and/or VNE test.

The BMAA folk have a more onerous post Permit inspection flight test regime requiring the right wx and getting hold of a 'BMAA approved on type test pilot'. Despite members' previous efforts to get them to copy the PFA/LAA system it wasn't implemented. Following the new CAA dictum, they say they are contemplating what they could do, as they remain the responsible delegated authority for Permits.

AFIK, Flex-wing shape in the air is just that, flexible, & is a mix of rigging, battens profile, sail cut shape plus trim and hang point alterations - done by the P1 in flight. This is unlike our type of F/Wing 'planes where unless it falls off the profile is constant. Consequently the flex-wing might require some form of independent check - especially for low time or novice user/owners. However the BMAA fixed wing fleet being similar or identical to ours is burdened with a flight test requirement unnecessarily originating from flex-wing technology.

I admit I'm so pleased my microlight is administered under LAA rules which have stood the test of time.

mike hallam.