Leburg alternator CB tripping

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Stuart Ord

Leburg alternator CB tripping

Post by Stuart Ord » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:09 am

I've got a Leburg dual ignition system on my VW1834 engine. It uses a Honda generator on the crank and two small lead acid batteries which is the normal arrangement, and has a Leburg-supplied control unit on the panel with 3 CBs for Alternator (12amps), Backup (1amp) and Services (5amps).

Occasionally the alternator CB will open, but the others don't. It doesn't seem to be influenced by load on the electrical system, and I've read in some old pilot's notes that this is likely to happen if the voltage gets too high. I am seeing voltages occasionally higher than 15v according to my panel voltmeter.

Has anyone experienced this problem, and found any remedy?

Thanks

Stuart Ord

cardiffrob

Re: Leburg alternator CB tripping

Post by cardiffrob » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:06 pm

Could it be overheating the regulator? Might be a good idea to consult the motorbike forums for tech answers since they had a lot of stuff on there when I was wondering why there were so many burnt ones on the shelf in the motorbike scrapyard!

http://cbrforum.com/forum/tags/overheating/

http://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600f2-16/ ... get-97840/
Rob Thomas

Stuart Ord

Re: Leburg alternator CB tripping

Post by Stuart Ord » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:16 pm

Hi Rob,
Thanks, that's a good idea. It is more prone to doing it when ground running with the cowl on, so that sounds hopeful. Thanks for the links. Maybe it will behave better when airborne (awaiting Permit to Test Fly).
Stuart