Titanium Metal Fittings

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

braywood

Titanium Metal Fittings

Post by braywood » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:18 pm

I am building a Pietenpol, and have found a supply of .050" through .100" sheet in commercially pure grade 4 and .125" in 6AL4V alloy. These are small offcut pieces, but plenty big enough to have the parts cut out using waterjet.
Although the commercially pure stuff is not as strong as 4130N, it is stronger than the S510 steel specified on the drawings. The original plans called for mild steel materials...... The titanium has the added benefits of corrosion resistance and lower weight. I am looking for the disadvantages......

Any experience out there with titanium in place of 4130N? I realise this would be a mod, but before I take that step, I thought I would get some input here.
Comments welcome!
Mark
Mark Bowler

Mark A

Re: Titanium Metal Fittings

Post by Mark A » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:53 pm

6AL-4V is actually grade 5. Grade 4 is unalloyed.

Although the strength may be higher, the stiffness is only about half of the chromoly steel.

That may not matter unless it is relevant to vibration issues or structural torsion or bending stiffness.
You could recover the stiffness by increasing the thickness about 25%, but that would take away some of the weight saving.
Mark Albery