USB panel charger/sockets

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

2greens1red

USB panel charger/sockets

Post by 2greens1red » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:37 pm

There's been discussion elsewhere about charging USB-compatible devices from a/c electrics. A simple solution, but prone to distributing RF interference, is a simple converter plugged into your a/c's 'cigar' lighter.

We're trying this custom-made solution from the States: http://goo.gl/oB2SLG; not cheap, but not as expensive as the 'certified' version (£250+).

Has anyone experience of similar equipment, preferably sourced in the UK?
Richard Lyon

John Dean

Re: USB panel charger/sockets

Post by John Dean » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:33 pm

I bought a cheap USB charger from Halfords to use in the aeroplane with a recently purchased Nexus 7 and was a little concerned it would not charge or cause noise on the radio.

In the event, I have no noise on the radio and it does charge although very slowly. On a recent flight of about 40 minutes, the charge went up from 65% to 67%.

Trevor Harvey

Post by Trevor Harvey » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:50 pm

I also use a double socket & USB adaptor plug from Halfords, It charges the iPad & phone, no interference. I fitted a 5amp MCB into the socket casing to feed it.

Richard Mole

Post by Richard Mole » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:31 pm

I have just bought one of these for charging a device with a USB plug.

Blue Sea - Dual USB Charger Socket - 2 Usb Ports W/Watertight Cap from Amazon at £20.50

Delivery next week so I can't comment on weight or dimensions etc let alone possible radio interference. But, on the face of it, likely to turn out to be a neater solution than mounting a typical 12v 'cigarette' style socket in the panel and then pushing in a USB adaptor.... unless of course an existing 12v socket is already in place and retained for other purposes!
Richard

Richard Mole

Post by Richard Mole » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:45 pm

Here is another very similar device (maybe the same core?) with tubular fitting/panel mount options:
Motorcycle Twin USB Power Supply Socket Adaptor 12v Weatherproof from Amazon

Both this and the previous one have a minute power drain to the LED even when not in use. But the usual practice of taking power downstream of the master switch would isolate the unit in any case.
Richard