Wing Root Fairings

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

David Elliott

Re: Wing Root Fairings

Post by David Elliott » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:11 pm

Dave, I have been browsing the forum and spotted your post while renewing my membership on line.
I assume you are talking about fairings for the Chilton. I made a couple of leading edge fairing moulds that were very successful in making my aluminium fairings in about 1997. I lent these to a Chilton builder who visited about 4 years ago but can't recall who it was. If you find out who it was can you ask them to return them to me please? (after you have used them of course)! Thanks
Dave Elliott

Dave Reid

Post by Dave Reid » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:07 am

I just saw the recent responses, having returned from a Canadian holiday. I've postponed work on the wing roots, whilst concentrating on the engine cowlings...
Julian, thanks. I'll be on to the phone to impag immediately. I like the look of this foam.
Dave, rack your brains harder! Does Roy's list of plans owners on the website help?
Cheers, Dave

Dave Reid

Post by Dave Reid » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:34 am

Problem sorted. On the advice of a self-confessed 'serial ac builder', I used 2 part PU foam, sanded to shape and filled where necessary with West System epoxy Microlight filler. Messy but succesful.