Building advice sought

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

JimCrawford

Re: Building advice sought

Post by JimCrawford » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:25 pm

I'm interested (and surprised) by your comment;

"Taylor Monoplane (seems to tick all of the boxes but people warn me that it is a dangerous aircraft to fly)"

All the information I have, both from print and in conversations with owners, is that the Taylor is pleasant and safe to fly. Who are these people that advise that it is dangerous? I'm surprised that a design that has been around and flying for such a long time is considered dangerous. I'm also surprised that the LAA would allow such a design to get a permit without appropriate modification.

As a builder of a Taylor Monoplane I've found it great fun and very educational to build (in a single garage). Although the drawings leave a lot to be desired by modern standards, combined with information readily available from those who have already been there, it is just like a large model aeroplane.

Be aware, however, that the only reason to build such an aircraft is because you want to build an aircraft. You won't be finishing it anytime soon, or particularly cheaply. Having access to an aircraft to fly, either within a group or personal, is important to keep the enthusiasm going.

Jim
Jim Crawford

wingnut

Post by wingnut » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:44 am

Hi

Have you thought about a Bowers flyBaby, seems simple to build, with good plans available, and individual wings. Would however need something a bit bigger than a VW though :cry:
Mark Appleby

Rob Swain

Post by Rob Swain » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:21 pm

JimCrawford wrote:All the information I have, both from print and in conversations with owners, is that the Taylor (Monoplane) is pleasant and safe to fly.
I think somebody is confusing the Taylor Monoplane with the Taylor Titch.

The Titch has a terrible reputation - and I believe the stats bear it out.
Very fast - very unforgiving.
Rob Swain
If the good Lord had intended man to fly, He would have given him more money.

Rob Swain

Post by Rob Swain » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:28 pm

You could probably find an Evans VP1 that you could restore and learn a lot from: fabric, paint, engine, wiring, rigging and controls, undercarriage etc.

And they don't have to be completely hideous and slow:
https://www.caa.co.uk/applicationmodule ... mgtype=jpg
This one did 85mph at max weight, with an 1834 VW with Leburg electronic ignition. Flew nicely too.

The VP1 is possibly the cheapest way of strapping an engine, wings and tail to a seat.
Rob Swain

Nick Allen

Post by Nick Allen » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:32 am

Love the idea of an Evans VP1 coupé!

David Hardaker

Post by David Hardaker » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:26 pm

"people warn me that it is a dangerous aircraft to fly"

Gary, I think you may have been talking to the wrong people...!
The Taylor Mono is a grand little aircraft and no more or less "dangerous" than any other aircraft. Ours was 1600 VW powered and had very pleasant handling. It was also good in a crosswind. Another bonus was that it had a canopy and a radio. The radio was powered by a 7AH Yuasa lead-acid sealed battery and only occasionally needed a charge. (The VW 1600had no on-board genny or alternator) Simplicate and add lightness, the saying goes. I'm 6ft 1" and could get in without any problems. (getting out wasn't quite as easy !!) My 270 hours in a JT1 was most enjoyable.
Any Taylor Mono owner will tell you they love their aircraft. Don't be put off by "dangerous to fly" talk.

D

mikeblyth

Post by mikeblyth » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:17 am

Don't tell the boss, but I do. Even after 25+ years. Only been out of action for around two months.
M 8)
Mike Blyth

evansvp1

Post by evansvp1 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:09 pm

is it possible for you to give me a location for you as I am a retired cabinet maker looking for a project to assit on
Anthony Wyatt

Alan Kilbride

Post by Alan Kilbride » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:17 pm

With ref to G-BAPP I flew it for it's permit renewal a couple of years ago and it was fun and fast....ish.
On being overtaken by said aircraft a Rallye pilot purchased a Robin due to the embarrassment.
It would do VNE straight and level (115mph) I think. Cruise was about 90 mph.
Duncan spent quite some time tweaking the rigging to get the aircraft in balance and it worked very well.
I was sorry to see her go as I had a pile of fun flying it.

Rob Swain

Post by Rob Swain » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:26 pm

Alan Kilbride wrote:I was sorry to see her go as I had a pile of fun flying it.
I miss it, although I didn't really fit in it properly. My partner in aviation crime does regret selling it, I believe.

Duncan must have sorted it very well to do 115mph straight and level.
Rob Swain