Aldon Amethyst ignition system

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

cardiffrob

Aldon Amethyst ignition system

Post by cardiffrob » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:02 pm

I've not had anything to do with this new system but thought it might be of interest to anyone playing with ignition on something like a VW. It seems to be something like the Leburg but programmable through a laptop.

http://www.aldonamethyst.co.uk/
Rob Thomas

Steve Brown

Re: Aldon Amethyst ignition system

Post by Steve Brown » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:33 pm

Great spot.
That vacuum enabled version looks really interesting and is an alternative to the Megajolt system I wrote about in the LAA mag a while back (which is now fully LAA approved as a prototype MOD and has been flawless to date & improving economy).

Software looks good for setting rpm & vac mapping curve progression so a great starting point perhaps using different trigger methods than points or reluctors etc. Hopefully someone will run it past Engineering for their views.

Regards
Steve

ColinC

Post by ColinC » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:40 pm

Steve,

that article caught the attention of quite a few of us at the time, how about a follow up in the magazine please?

I have a vested interest in learning more about electronic ignition as I have a Walter Mikron (with alternator) destined for my project and a swap to electronic ignition from the original rear mounted magnetos seems a good way to potentially move the engine back a few inches to help with known c of g issues.

regards,

Colin
Colin Cheese

Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:56 pm

Glad it was of interest.
It initially sounds complicated but it isn't really.
Ok - I'll draft something up & get onto Brian - I was vaguely thinking about doing an update so thanks for the prompt :)

4535jacks

Post by 4535jacks » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:40 pm

Thanks for the info.

I am very interested in electronic ignition and have been gauging Francis Donaldson's interest in dual electronic ignition, myself and another Potez owner are both hoping to install dual electronic Lightspeed ignition on our Potez engines using magnet sensors and magnets mounted on the starter ring or spinner backplate to provide timing. The Lightspeed system looks like a good system and is installed on other LAA aircraft but it damned expensive (~£2000 for dual system).

Gary
Gary Jackson