Inspection/access zips on fabric

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Terry Lee

Inspection/access zips on fabric

Post by Terry Lee » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:30 pm

Can anyone tell me the correct way to fix, say a 9" L zip of the type used on the rear of an Auster fuselage. Should the fabric part of the zip be stitched or glued to the fabric covering.

TIA

ROB THOMASSON

Re: Inspection/access zips on fabric

Post by ROB THOMASSON » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:04 pm

All the ones I've seen come pre sewn onto a largish patch of ceconite ready to be fabric cemented onto the aircraft fabric as they accept that "Real Men" don't do sewing!
Get the base fabric taught with an iron as usual and then attach the fabric and zip as you would a patch. 1 coat of glue and a retighten as necessary. Open the zips and use a sharp knife to cut the fabric in line with the zipper.
Dope as normal (with the zips closed) and then your choice of silver as anti UV followed by paint if needed to match the original colours. Be aware the dreaded bloom is likely in low temperatures and high humidity like er ... now!

Terry Lee

Post by Terry Lee » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:53 pm

Rob, what you describe is pretty much how I envisaged it would go, except that as far as I can see LAS, Skycraft, Polyfiber et'all don't list zips pre stitched to a fabric patch! Any idea who does them?

Terry Lee

Post by Terry Lee » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:58 pm

Rob, sorry, ignore my last post,I've found them, doh :oops: