Aircraft C of A to Permit

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

markapotter

Aircraft C of A to Permit

Post by markapotter » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:30 am

Hello,
I am interested in the Cessna 120 / 140 models and note that they appear for sale and are registered with both C of A and permit inspection methods. Can a C of A model be easily 'converted' or changed over onto the permit system as the differences between models are minimal if at all.
Many thanks,
Regards,
Mark.
Mark Potter

ThePipster

Re: Aircraft C of A to Permit

Post by ThePipster » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:58 pm

Hello Mark,

At some point in the past the Cessna 120 aircraft (along with J3 cubs and Luscombes) were deemed to be orphaned aircraft by the CAA and were allowed to transfer to LAA permits. There has subsequently been a review of policy (directed by ICAO and reinforced by EASA) to say that any aircraft that has a type certificate and can hold a CofA has to remain on a CofA. This has resulted in a quirky situation that the 120 can be on a PtF yet a 140 must remain on a CofA.

Best regards

Phil
Phil Hall

markapotter

Re: Aircraft C of A to Permit

Post by markapotter » Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:13 pm

Hi Phil, Thank you for your answer.
Why does this not surprise me. I cannot understand that in a field such as aviation where the people involved are supposed to be intelligent individuals that a small amount on common sense cannot be applied. What has gone wrong with the system?
Best regards,
Mark.
Mark Potter